News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

sd70ACE Wreck!

Started by RAILSPLITTER, October 14, 2017, 10:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAILSPLITTER

My New sd70ace derailed and hit the carpet covering concrete popped a few rails and damaged the front coupler.Thought I was lucky showing not much damage UNTIL I went to replace the coupler and found the frame cracked and bent. Well fixed everything on the body and tried to order a frame  that needs replacement. Found no frames available through Bachmann . Service department was no help since they do not stock it as a part itself or a complete mechanism like they do with other models they have and no idea if they can get one even though  . They just built a second run of them . Now what ?Maybe Athearn or Walthers frame that are available ?Nice new loco that makes a nice door stop.

John

Bucksco

If you call the service department they may have one in the "boneyard" that they can take parts from. Call and ask for the service manager Rich - he will do everything he can to help you out.

ACY

In the future you can try to give yourself more leeway in the future in case of derailments or other accidents. (That is leave more space between the track and the edge of that layout). You can also install some sort of barrier like plexi-glass or plastic along the sides as well. Good luck finding your parts.

Trainman203

Sometimes you can have a total loss in an accident, just like the prototype.  It might be better to give up on this one, or get another one cheap on the online auctions and swap out for your favorite shell.  You can always keep the old mechanism for parts.

I learned the hard way about  building track away from the layout edge.  You not only get a safety net, it looks a heck of a lot better with a few inches of scenery between the track and the edge of the universe.

Joe323

Quote from: Trainman203 on October 15, 2017, 10:48:16 AM
Sometimes you can have a total loss in an accident, just like the prototype.  It might be better to give up on this one, or get another one cheap on the online auctions and swap out for your favorite shell.  You can always keep the old mechanism for parts.

I learned the hard way about  building track away from the layout edge.  You not only get a safety net, it looks a heck of a lot better with a few inches of scenery between the track and the edge of the universe.

Yes but unlike the prototype you probably aren't insured against a total loss  :D

On the bright side you don't have a liability or Workers Compensation claim either.

Building away from the edges is good Insurance though.