News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Large scale Gordon

Started by sodorisland121, October 21, 2017, 09:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainandRockmusicfan97

Plus, they're tank engines and are a pretty reasonable size for the G-Scale range.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: TrainandRockmusicfan97 on October 25, 2017, 09:49:51 AM
Plus, they're tank engines and are a pretty reasonable size for the G-Scale range.

Not to mention Bill and Ben would require a single tooling which would help Bachmann in terms of production costs.  The faces would be the only thing possibly requiring a separate tooling, but I personally see Bachmann just changing the eyebrows like they did for the HO Donald and Douglas models, or just making the faces the same like Arry and Bert.  I'd say the faces on Bill and Ben would probably be the same considering there's not much difference between the 2 of them.  I don't really see them getting different expressions like their HO counterparts.

Like I've said before though, considering Diesel was announced in large scale and the tooling is there, it's pretty clear the next set of twins the range will get is Arry and Bert.  However, I think many would agree Bill and Ben would do way better than Arry and Bert would in large scale, or any range for that matter.  They've had more appearances lately, their sales would be better, and there's been more of a demand for them in the last couple years.  I myself would be tempted to get the tank engine twins if they were ever announced.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

Mavis, or Bill and Ben would make much better sellers than 'Arry and Bert, even though they do require new toolings.

Mavis can just use Toby's chassis. For Bill and Ben, Bachmann can easily get two engines out there with just one tooling, and both engines having the exact same livery, with the only differences being their nameplates. They don't really need to make different faces for the twins.

But, like you said, 'Arry and Bert seem inevitable, because of their tooling already existing.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

douglas

Do Arry and Bert still even have roles in the TV series significant enough to warrant electric models in any scale? I haven't seen any episodes since around season 12.

Falcon

Quote from: douglas on October 26, 2017, 09:57:36 PM
Do Arry and Bert still even have roles in the TV series significant enough to warrant electric models in any scale? I haven't seen any episodes since around season 12.

As far as I know of, they've only had two speaking roles in the past five seasons (counting the current Season 21). "Diesel and the Ducklings" and "Springtime for Diesel" have been their most recent speaking appearances so far.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: douglas on October 26, 2017, 09:57:36 PM

No, but that doesn't matter when the tooling for them is already there courtesy of Devious Diesel.  That's basically the only reason Bachmann made Arry and Bert in HO, and also why they were made for the O gauge line by one of Bachmann's competitors.  Either way, manufactures still get a small profit off Arry and Bert just because of the reuse of tooling.  Personally if Bachmann wants to reuse a tooling and have a model that sells, just forget about Arry and Bert and make Paxton instead.  Would make sense considering his HO model was announced this year.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainFan97

Quote from: Plow Bender on October 27, 2017, 11:52:21 AM
Personally if Bachmann wants to reuse a tooling and have a model that sells, just forget about Arry and Bert and make Paxton instead.  Would make sense considering his HO model was announced this year.

-Rusty

I quite agree. If Bachmann wants to reuse a tooling for Large Scale, Paxton would be a much better decision than 'Arry and Bert. His HO model isn't out yet, but he will definitely sell better, especially since he's much more likeable as a character. Since 'Arry and Bert's HO models didn't sell well, producing them in Large Scale would just be suicide for the range. Paxton is the much safer decision.

If Bachmann wants to reuse a tooling for HO Scale, Sidney is the only good option left. He would also make a much better seller than 'Arry and Bert.

As for Splatter and Dodge (for either scale), their chances are very very slim. Even though their tooling already exists, they were one-off characters, plus they were complete idiots. Anything related to Magic Railroad is considered taboo. The only chance Splatter and Dodge have of being made in HO would be if the Directors Cut ever gets made. Even then, it's hard to imagine them being good sellers. Even though Bachmann has the tooling, they may never make Diesel 10's bumbling minions. Can't count on it. No chance in heck for Large Scale for sure. Kids of this generation wouldn't even know who they are. Unlike those bumbling idiots (Splodge), Sidney actually has relevance, and he's a CGI character. He's also likeable.

A Mainland Diesel (like Ulli) has the same extremely low chance as Splodge. Even though they're in the CGI series, they have no promotion or marketing towards them. No merchandise whatsoever.

What to actually expect for Large Scale (for existing toolings) include Paxton (recommended), or 'Arry and Bert. Sidney for HO Scale. That is it.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

TrainandRockmusicfan97

Kids of this generation don't even know who BoCo is either......  :'(

Falcon

Quote from: TrainandRockmusicfan97 on October 29, 2017, 10:20:33 AM
Kids of this generation don't even know who BoCo is either......  :'(

And it's sadly the same case with Duke. I would be up for a model of him, but I doubt it can happen at any point in time.  :-\

TrainandRockmusicfan97

You're right. Bachmann probably won't release Duke unless if they bring him back in a future season (along with BoCo).

sodorisland121

How about Donald and Douglas. You can make them an inch or two shorter than Emily