News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann ever considered a buy back for locos

Started by bnoem1, August 14, 2018, 11:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnoem1

Wondering if Bachmann has ever considered a buy back program for locos when newer versions are made.  For instance, the light 4-8-2, there are lots out there and since your releasing one with DCC and Sound you might get a lot of trade-ins.  Of course, the value given would be contingent on the condition of the trade-in.  It would increase the spare parts available for repairs.

ACY

It is not a bad idea in theory but it is not very practical and would be too hard, too expensive and too inconvenient to implement for a plethora of reasons.

rnjuice

Quote from: bnoem1 on August 14, 2018, 11:59:18 PM
Wondering if Bachmann has ever considered a buy back program for locos when newer versions are made.  For instance, the light 4-8-2, there are lots out there and since your releasing one with DCC and Sound you might get a lot of trade-ins.  Of course, the value given would be contingent on the condition of the trade-in.  It would increase the spare parts available for repairs.

I've had several Bachmann steam locos fail over the past 2 years.  Sometimes they could fix them, sometimes they couldn't.  The ones they couldn't were swapped for a small fee.  The Bachmann Warranty Program has been terrific in this way, even if we couldn't do a 1-for-1 swap, they worked with me on model and price to help me get something terrific.

I used to be a critic of Bachmann until I realized they have this limited lifetime warranty.

thenudehamster

I can't see it being practical for them - although it might save you a little bit of money. I'm not sure what Bachmann might get out of it anyway; I certainly don't think it will increase sales of new models.
You can always sell your 'obsolete' models on one of the many private trade or auction sites. Many people either aren't able or willing to keep buying the latest issues, which may not suit their layout anyway (why buy a new digital, sound equipped loco to go with an older analogue layout?) but will happily add to their stock of less modern items.

As ever, your mileage may vary...
thenudehamster
-------------------
Not a naked rodent; it's where I used to live
Any opinion expressed above is herein only warranted to be worth exactly what you paid for it.

cdlsa

Over the last three years I have sent three n scale EM1  locos for repair On each occasion they said they could not repair even though they had the parts
and in my view point were repairable  The warranty program is ok if you are ok with getting another loco , i would rather have my loco repaired . I do not bellive they are capable of dismantling a unit and repairing On the other hand I have sent two challenger N scale to Athearn who did an actual repair

Not a Bachmann fan when it comes to repairing units

rnjuice

Quote from: cdlsa on November 30, 2018, 10:46:40 PM
Over the last three years I have sent three n scale EM1  locos for repair On each occasion they said they could not repair even though they had the parts
and in my view point were repairable  The warranty program is ok if you are ok with getting another loco , i would rather have my loco repaired . I do not bellive they are capable of dismantling a unit and repairing On the other hand I have sent two challenger N scale to Athearn who did an actual repair

Not a Bachmann fan when it comes to repairing units

I can sympathize with this as well.  I've had much better repair success with Athearn.

spookshow

I don't think I've ever had anything actually repaired by Bachmann. SOP seem to be to just send a replacement (and sometimes not even the same type of loco if they've run out of the original).

I've had Athearn repairs take upwards of 6 months, so the grass isn't necessarily greener on the other side of the fence.

-Mark