News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ebay

Started by RAM, December 06, 2007, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAM

I was just looking at some things on Ebay.  You know right off that the seller does not know much about what  they are selling when they call a cow and calf unit "locomotive and tender" and, "Build your own box cars, wheels and cuplinks not included"  You can have fun on Ebay.

martin_lumber

For the most part, when the seller doesn't know anything about the items, you can get a very good deal on something that costs considerably more than what you got it for. On the other hand, when an amateur is selling it, he might say that the engine runs fine, when it is really a junker that has past seen it's day to the dumpster.

I picked up 4 Walthers GN Empire Builder cars on eBay, from a seller named Bargainland. This joint has been known as the biggest scammer on eBay, but I decided to buy the cars anyways.

Bargainland said that the cars had damaged packaging, but the "insides" seamed Ok. Knowing myself that when the outside of a Walthers box is damaged, the car is probably damaged, I paid $45 for the 4 cars.

Included were...

Great Dome
Vista Dome
and two Observation cars

The couplers were all broken, the rear end of an observation car was sheared off, and some steps and grabs were broken, or missing. But, that is the kind of model work I like to do. So, instead of paying about $170 for the whole set, I got 4 cars (that I had to do a little work on) for $45.

Phil

richG

I have been watching ebay for some time and I have learned some sellers use a variety of terms so their item will show up in a ebay search. I have seen "engine car train tender" for an item. Some of the sellers seem to know what they are selling but want as many potential buyers finding their items.
At one time "old time" was used quite a lot for steam era products of 1900 and still is but. now many are using "wild west" since Roundhouse products has a "wild west series" 1900 era rolling stock which I have. That started about six or so months ago. Go to the HO scale category and search for wild west.

Rich

Woody Elmore

One vendor was selling a Tyco Old Time caboose. he had a high price with a blurb saying that it will never be available again. I referred him to the Model Power website which had the same cboose with better trucks and couplers for half of what he was asking.

I like the guys who sell old Varney and Mantua as "rare" or "vintage." One guy was selling a broken die cast F unit casting (an old Hobbyline casting) as "collectible." I noticed that it didn't sell.

tommy4u2

Ya but you have to really carefull with ebay I just bought a 4-10-2 Heavy Mountain with Dcc and sound for what i thought was a great price of $95.00 well it came today and is nothing more than a hundred dollar Nick Nac and dust collector as it doesnt run

Tom
My Daddy told me along time ago if you cant say something nice to  someone don't say anything at all

kevin2083

The thing that gets me is when a seller says an item is "rare", no matter how common it really is. For example-I was searching for a Spectrum 44 tonner and came up with 32 results. 14 of them said the item was either "rare" or "vintage", but only 3 were the older style with 2 motors, and none of them were in the "rare/vintage" listings. It's hard to tell for sure what you're getting, so I say it's best to be overly careful.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

lanny

I certainly agree with the concept of being 'overly careful' about purchasing on eBay.

I have bought and sold quite a bit on eBay, only getting 'stung' a very few times, thankfully ( But not because of any 'superior intelligence, believe me . :D). I just try to be overly careful.

There is one thing that really helps prove whether you might be getting scammed or not ... ask very prying, detailed questions. Honest eBayers will carefully and fully (and quickly) answer. Ebayers with something to hide will be evasive in their answers or may not answer at all.

Some of the prices on eBay for model trains are laughable. But the serious sellers with reasoanable prices (of the ones I have watched and at times, purchased from) generally sell their products.

Buyer beware  :)

lanny
ICRR Steam & "Green Diamond" era modeler

Jim Banner

If there is a problem, honest eBay sellers will try to make things right.  A case in point - a couple of months ago I bought a P2K FA-1 which was listed as being in good running  condition.  When it arrived, it would not run at all.  Investigation disclosed typical Life-Like split gears.  Upon inquiry, a devastated seller admitted that the "good running condition" applied when he packed his railway away some years before and he had not checked it before offering it for sale.  He offered a number of solutions including among others returning it for a refund and he would pay the shipping, or he would send further merchandise.  In the end, I figured he was honest and had not set out to cheat me, and since I could easily repair the locomotive at no cost, that is what I did.  I added DCC and ended up with a great performer for a fraction of its original price.

The point is, like lanny, I have been stung from time to time by deadbeat sellers (mosty from New Jersey) and have on occasion received less than was promised by sellers who made a mistake (like the one above) but over all, dealing on eBay has been a good experience.  The British are a joy to deal with (and shipment is speedy, even faster than from the US), the French are courteous and helpful if you write to them in French (even my bad French works),  Australians seem to take pride in their honesty, and I have never had a problem with buys from Hong Kong or Singapore.  I prefer to deal with Canadians, in part because shipping is cheaper, and enjoy dealing with most Americans (I am very leery if they live in New Jersey).  But one thing I keep firmly in mind - if it seems too good to be true, it most likely is. 

Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Mike

I, too, have had mostly very good luck with e-Bay. Most honest dealers will bend over backward to make things right with you. Just remember to include the cost of insurance in your calculations. It isn't the seller's fault if something gets broken in transit. And those feedback ratings can be helpful... especially if they are on a high number of sales and/or purchases.- Mike S.

r.cprmier

Vintage?  The only things vintage out there are Fender Strats, Gibson Les Paul customs, and my former spouse.

Rich
Rich

NEW YORK NEW HAVEN & HARTFORD RR. CO.
-GONE, BUT NOT FORGOTTEN!

Stephen D. Richards

Rich,  I guess vintge is baswed on various points of view!  I graduated from High School in 1974.  I had a 1937 Lionel O-27 2-8-4.  It still ran!  That is vintage!  At least to my point of view!  lol      Stephen

Stephen D. Richards

Also used to have a Gibson Les Paul too!  Ah well....hindsight!  lol

RAM

Maybe it depends if you are buying or selling.

sour rails

I'm not really careful on my ebay purchases.  If I want a particular item, I look around for a good price, standard or spectrum, and DCC or regular DC.  Just like going shopping, visit one place after another before deciding to get it at the first place.  However, when I am looking for a locomotive, I try to buy from an actual store on ebay rather than from an individual.
Sometimes, true greatness comes in small packages.  ~Sour Rails

Nickel Plate Road~Resurgence

8) 8) Sour Rails 8) 8) [move]