News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

climax led replacement

Started by ALBYRNO, October 24, 2017, 08:20:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALBYRNO

I need to replace led headlight in my climax.Can just the LED be replaced or do I need to replace housing with LED?

dutchbuilder

Depends on if you can get the "glass" out or not.
Sometimes it is glued in and sometimes not.

Ton

J. S. Bach

I thought these headlights plugged into the body of the locomotive.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke

dutchbuilder

Quote from: J. S. Bach on October 25, 2017, 10:56:41 PM
I thought these headlights plugged into the body of the locomotive.

Yes it does but has nothing to do with how the led is incorporated into the lamp body.
The led is inserted from the front of the lamp body and then kept in place by the plastic glass insert.
Some inserts are so tightly fitted that you can't get them out any more.
Then you have to replace the entire headlight.

Ton

ScottyB

It's probably been 8 years since I replaced mine but I recall it being very straightforward. Remove the housing, pull out the old LED, put the new one in. The LED leads plug into two sockets in the boiler that can be seen by removing the front plate of the boiler (forgive me as I just run them, I don't know technical terms!)

Granted, others may have had different experiences, but I'm not the brightest model railroader and I recall it being very easy. Good luck!

Scott
On30 for me, N scale for my son.

2foot6

As Scott says it should be straight forward,I have changed a number of LED lights in locos.Some of my climaxes were easy but a couple(as per Tons comment) were indeed very hard to change.I ended up removing the head light ,drilling out the lenz,replacing the LED and making up a new lenz with clear plastic card and refitting the head light.Some care is required but it is possible to do,give it a go,if it doesn't work out buy a replacement head light,if it works ,well you have achieved some  satisfaction and learned a new skill. ;)........................Peter.

J. S. Bach

Quote from: dutchbuilder on October 26, 2017, 02:47:44 AM
Then you have to replace the entire headlight.
Ton

That is what I was referring to as it would seem to me to be easier just to replace the whole assembly.
Later Gator,

Dave

"A fruit is a vegetable with looks and money. Plus, if you let fruit rot, it turns into wine, something Brussels sprouts never do." ~P.J. O'Rourke