Help Needed in Wiring Simple HO Train Crossing !!

Started by Alez, October 26, 2017, 11:00:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alez

Wiring Simple HO Scale Train Crossing Lights
This is my first attempt to wire lights to my HO scale EZ track layout. I purchased some nice simple crossing lights to operate when the power is turn on to the spur line in my layout. The lights also included a resistor. The first thing I did was soldered the resistor to the black wire of the crossing lights then I cut two extension (20 gauge) wires. Soldered one end to the red wire and the other to the end of the resistor. Next, to test the light, I got a 9V battery and attached the black wire the negative end the battery and the red wire to the positive. Success, the crossing light started to blink red, exactly what I wanted.
But when I attached the light to my spur line rails and turned on the power switch the train moved but the crossing light did not go on. I also reversed the light wires with the same result.
All I want is the crossing lights to blink red when the power is switch on to the spur line or passing track to remind me that the switch is on and for effect.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Alez

guy57

are you running DC or DCC? if it's DCC you will need to add a bridge rectifier to change the track voltage going to the crossing lights to DC

guy57

try running the track voltage up to 9 volts w/o the train on the tracks. you used a 9 volt battery to test it, so you may need that voltage to run. you may need a seperate supply for the crossing and fire it through auxiliary contacts on the switch machine. also, re-test it with the battery to make sure that something didn't burn out with the reversed polarity. good luck

Alez

I dugout the voltage meter and I have 14v going from the track up to the resistor and still the light crossing will not go on.
After the resistor the votage is zero. But hooked up to 9v battery the light blinks.
I must be missing something.
Alez

guy57

I'm going to take a wild guess and say if you have 14 volts on your track that it's AC, not DC. 14volts ac is what usually comes from a DCC controller or power supply and would explain the symptoms you describe, but I'm not there looking at it so i'm just guessing but let me know if you figure it out, it's driving me crazy too!!

Alez

Hello
Retested everything with the voltage meter and tried to attach pictures with no success. Picture would of helped.

•   Running DC
•   Using a Spectrum Magnum power supply, the power supply it tested at 15.31v.
•   The power supply is connected EZ track and the connection tested at 15.31v.
•   The spur line where I am trying to connect the train crossing lights tested at 15.31v
•   All voltage testing is being done without trains running.
•   The train crossing light is attached to the rails using Atlas feeder jointers.
•   Below is the URL's where I purchased the lights and resistors.
•   https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-HO-Scale-Railroad-crossing-signal-light-one-target-flashing-red-led-/152218105741?hash=item2370e7f78d
•   Resistors that came with the lights
•   https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-1K-ohm-Resistors-HO-N-scale-led-street-Lights-Lamp-Posts-12V-16V-use-/152013048083?hash=item2364af0913
•   Wiring instructions
•   http://stores.ebay.com/WEHONEST/Instructions-of-my-model-lampposts.html
•   Voltage of feeder jointers befor resistor 15.31v after resistor zero.
This is the best way to show the set up I have with out using pictures
Thank you for your help.
Alez

jward

Have you tried reversing the direction? LEDs are diodes and will only conduct electricity one way.

BTW, contrary to what guy is telling you, LEDs will work on AC. They are diodes, and will themselves rectify AC to DC. Just don't exceed their capabilities. All diodes have a peak inverse voltage rating (PIV) that must not be exceeded.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA