News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC decoder

Started by KRHarwood, November 01, 2017, 12:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRHarwood

Thanks for the add!

I've been told that there are DCC decoders available to replace the PCBs in older Spectrum N scale locos. Is this true, and if so is one available for the GE-Dash 8-40CW (item #86051)?

Thanks,
KR

KRHarwood

I guess the Bach Man has retired or quit?????  2 1/2 months and no reply!!!!!

gatrhumpy

You can add a decoder for it, but it won't be a drop-in decoder. You will have to hard-wire one into your locomotive.

spookshow

There aren't any drop-in PC board replacements that I'm aware of. As gatrhumpy stated, what you have to do is solder a wired decoder to the PC board (situating the decoder in the open space under the board at the back) -

FYI, Bachmann lists a DCC-Sound version of the Dash 8-40CW as "coming soon".

-Mark

Fred Klein

I have added DCC decoders to several of the Bachmann Dash 8-40CWs. It is a fairly straight-forward procedure. You have to remove the two brass jumper clips, as shown at the right of Mark's picture, from the PCB and then attach the wires from the decoder to the plated holes. IIRC, the holes are numbered so all you have to do is match up the colors to the numbers and solder the wires on. You can find the pinout on the NMRA's website. I used Digitrax DZ123 and DZ126 decoders, which, due to their small size, neatly tuck into the space under the PCB. I did shorten the wires to the decoder for a neater installation. Keep in mind that although the NMRA wiring spec lists 8 wires, only 7 are used and my decoders only had 7 wires, however, depending on the manufacturer, yours may have 8. However, if you follow the color to pin chart you will the just have one wire left over which isn't used any way (I just tuck it out of the way). I converted my locomotives several years ago and, so far, they are running without any problems. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL