Removing Paint From Old Plasticville Figures

Started by Mister Lee, November 04, 2017, 10:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Lee

I recently bought a collection of old bare-plastic Plasticville O scale figures. The previous owner had used the paints that came with the sets to paint some of the figures, with variable results.

I plan to try my hand at painting both the unpainted figures and the ones a previous owner started work on. What I'd like to do is to first strip off the previous owner's efforts. Has anyone had any experience at removing the paint from figures without dissolving them, and how did they go about it?

I look forward to sound advice.

--Mister Lee

(Looking forward to having properly-painted postmen)

dutchbuilder

I use brake fluid.
Apply and let it soak for a while then use an old toothbrush to remove the paint layer for layer.

Ton

JerryB

If the paint was a thin modeling paint, it might not be necessary to remove it. If a thicker paint was used, then removal might be necessary to preserve or show details.

As Mister Lee wrote above, brake fluid is frequently used to remove paint. Whether it will work is almost entirely dependent on the type of paint applied. A stiff brush will also help. Avoid strong chemicals such as acetone, as it will potentially 'melt' the plastic.

Once you have removed as much of the paint as necessary or possible, be certain to scrub the figure the figure with a strong soap solution to remove any oily residue. This will help the new paint flow onto the surface, thus preserving the detail.
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Country Joe

I have had good results using 91% Isopropyl Alcohol. I let the plastic parts soak overnight and use an old toothbrush to remove the paint. The trick is to leave the part in the alcohol while scrubbing it. Alcohol is cheap and non toxic though it does smell.

Mister Lee

Thanks for the suggestions. I really feel uncomfortable with milkmen dressed in black.

:D

Postwarman

I have recently discovered a product called Super clean. I got mine at Walmart (automotive dept) comes in a purple gallon jug, its a degreaser. Really does a good job, removes paint from plastic and metal with no harm, and is bio-degradable, so i can dump it down the drain..just soak overnight. I have always been to impatient when waiting for brake fluid to work. Hope this helps.