News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Modifying a Spectrum USRA 2-6-6-2

Started by jonathan, October 07, 2017, 01:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaltoOhioRRfan

You got me wanting to get my two out and do some mods. I based mine off KK-2 7450. I might leave one like it is, and change the other around. eather way the number boards are coming off.
Emily C.
BaltoOhioRRFan
B&O - America's #1 Railroad.

My Collection on FB - https://www.facebook.com/EmilysModelRailroad
My Collection on YouTube = https://www.youtube.com/user/BORRF

jonathan

Thought about doing one of the other KK classes myself.

The version 2-6-6-2 I got came with the square tender, which I like.  However, the version with the Vandy tender came with the large squared-off steam chest on the front engine, which is correct for the B&O KK class.

Went looking at the parts section.  The front engine is available with the small steam chest.  For the large, squared-off steam chest, I would need to purchase the whole chassis... pricey!

So, I will live with the small steam chest for now.  If the opportunity comes along to pick up a 2-6-6-2 with the square steam chest, I may consider another project, but would have to change out the tender on that one.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

OK, decided to stick a fork in this project, and call it done.

The last step was to remake the cab grab irons.  The old ones were flimsy and I pretty much destroyed them disassembling the model.  I used .015 steel wire:

DSC_0933 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

What follows are three shots of the same scene, just at slightly different angles.  The transformed B&O KK-4b is pulling 14 cars up a 2% grade on a 28" radius curve:

DSC_0935 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0937 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

DSC_0942 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

It seems to be breaking in, that is, running more smoothly as I run it around my figure-8-shaped layout.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonathan

Just a little update:

I managed to get a hold of another rerail frog.  So, there are no empty holes in the tender:

DSC_0944 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

I want to run some long trains, of course.  Double-heading is necessary for me.  However, you may notice the smaller wheels on the 2-6-6-2, compared to the 2-8-0, and all the other Bachmann steamers. It runs just a bit slower than the others:

DSC_0945 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

The locomotives don't seem to fight each other--even though I know the Connie is a bit faster.  When going upgrade, with 20 or more cars in tow, they cooperate quite well.  Going downgrade the Connie has not forced the 2-6-6-2 to derail.  Hopefully, I can continue this operation.  The 2-6-6-2 is a bit faster than my brass.  Don't think I'll give that a whirl...

On the hill behind, I've added 57 more trees.  Got a ways to go there.  Plus, I need to add some contrasted colors to make it more interesting.

I've also built two more wood sided boxcars-my personal obsession... built 52 craftsman kits so far...
DSC_0947 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

Finally, I've been wanting to put myself into the layout somehow.  So I'm going to be driving my first car along a road. MY car was a '65 Ford Galaxy 500.  The best I could do in HO was a '67 Galaxy.  They look the same, but the '65 had round taillights.  The '67 had square lights:

DSC_0948 by Jon Vogel, on Flickr

This is the same blue as my car.  However, mine had a white hardtop.  And it was pretty faded, with lots of miles, by the time I started driving it.  If I can figure out how to disassemble this tiny creature, I'll go to work on trying to make it look like the tank I remember.

My car and I were both born a little too late for the steam era, but I'm going to fudge a little here.

Regards,

Jonathan  

jonathan