News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Are all HOs the same?

Started by HippyChik, December 15, 2007, 11:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HippyChik

Hello everyone,

I'm new to train collecting and am wondering... are all HO scale trains/tracks/sets the same? For example, would Bachmann tracks work with a Lionel train and vice versa?

I appreciate your help.

Kerry

rogertra

Short answer "Yes".

But there are lots of variations in standards ranging from toy train junk to semi-scale that works like a Swiss watch.  Far too much to discuss here, you'll need to do some reading.

Guilford Guy

Well, Lionel O gauge trains won't run on Bachmann HO track.
Alex

rogertra

Quote from: Guilford Guy on December 16, 2007, 12:09:43 AM

The question was "Are all HOs the same?"

Didn't mention O scale.

HippyChik

Hi and thanks for your reply... are there any reliable sites out there where I could learn more? I don't even know where to start and am afraid to just Google something because I know a lot of wrong info exists...

Thanks for your help.  :)

Quote from: rogertra on December 16, 2007, 12:02:05 AM
Short answer "Yes".

But there are lots of variations in standards ranging from toy train junk to semi-scale that works like a Swiss watch.  Far too much to discuss here, you'll need to do some reading.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: rogertra on December 16, 2007, 02:52:46 AM

The question was "Are all HOs the same?"

Didn't mention O scale.
She mentioned Lionel, and while they did do HO for a short time they are more known for their O gauge.
Alex

Rangerover

Hi and welcome, I startred back in the hobby not as a collector but am now retired and been working on my layout for 2 years and enjoy every minute of it. I learned a lot by asking questions on this and other train forums, and saved a lot of money following directions given by others in the hobby. Lurk and read all you can. Here's my other favorite site http://www.trains.com/TRC/CS/forums/. Also try out yahoo searches, tons of info on the web. Jim

SteamGene

Hippychik,
As stated, Lionel runs on O gauge track now.  There may be some HO Lionel left somewhere, both track and equipment.  All HO scale will work on or with all other HO, provided the couplers are compatable and the wheel flanges (the part of the wheel on the inside that keeps the wheel on the track) is not too deep for the smaller code track. 
That said, there is a wealth of difference.  You can buy an Athearn boxcar which may have only a fleeting resemblance to the car it is lettered for.  You can buy a locomotive for very little.  You can also buy a kit that is accurate for only a few numbers of a railroad.  You can buy a locomotive for more than $1000 that is an exact duplicate of a real locomotive. 
That's one of the things that makes this such a wnderful hobby. 
Do read this board for a wealth of information. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

ebuliavac

nmra.com, modelrailroader.com are good sites.  The National Model Railroad Association (NMRA) has beginner pages, along with a wealth of information.

ta152h0

Well, maybe not. there is code 100 rail and code 83 rail and i don't believe they are compatible without a transitional rail. I saw recently a Shinomara transition rail on ebay.

ebtnut

Kerry:  Check out the Model Railroader and NMRA sites on-line, as suggested.  But your best bet is to find a hobby shop that deals principally with model trains.  Most such shops will have a book rack that will include info for beginners in the train hobby.  A knowledgable clerk (are there any left these days ???) can provide you with some recommendations.  Some of the answers above started getting a bit technical.  Let me try and simplify things a bit--If you buy a typical train set, like from Bachmann, virtually any HO piece of equipment will run on the track.  Older HO models may come with a coupler that is different than most supplied today.  They can usually be changed easily.  The other thing to consider is the physical size of the models.  Most train sets come with track that has a pretty small radius (usually 18").  Most freight cars and most diesel models will go around these curves.  However, very long cars like passenger cars and high-cube box cars may not.  Some medium to large steam locomotive models also don't like small track curves.  Read up a bit, ask questions on this board, and have fun.

bevernie

Please note here that he said "LIONEL", NOT "LIONEL O"!! Since the discussion is concerning HO GUAGE, one would naturally think, and correctly so, that he were speaking of HO, manufactured by LIONEL!! SURPRISE!! SURPRISE!! LIONEL DOES/DID MAKE HO!! -And I have a BICENTENNIAL ENGINE CABOOSE TO PROVE IT !!         8)WOW!!
                                                                                         THANX!!
                                                                                           Ernie
www.3abn.com   www.amazingfacts.com    www.bibleinfo.com

Guilford Guy

I am aware of that Ernie. I just wanted to make sure since she seems to be a Newbie, and you don't see a lot of HO Lionel kicking around today besides ebay and a few at shows. I just didn't want her to make an incorrect and costly investment. Better safe than Sorrry.

PS. Sorry if my typing isn't great today. Had surgery this morning and the morphine makes my hands a tad shakey.
Alex