News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-8-2

Started by bob kaplan, November 09, 2017, 01:37:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob kaplan

Might some one give me an estimate of the number of freight cars that the light Bachmann Mikado should be able to pull?  I understand that "mileage" may vary with type and care of the cars.
   Thanks.
bob

jonathan

Unmodified, I couldn't tell you.

However, with balancing weight added, I can pull about 20 cars on a level surface.  I haven't tested it up to wheel slippage. 20 is plenty for my needs. I have the sound value model.

The locomotive is back-heavy and needs added weight to the front to balance it out between the middle drivers.  There is plenty of free space in the smokebox area.  I added a total of 1.5 ounces to each of my two Mikes.  This also takes care of any problems with the loco riding up over the rails on curves.  Some have reported this issue.

I decided against adding bullfrogsnot to any drivers.  The gears are not particularly thick in the mechanism.  They may be fine, but I didn't want to add any additional stress.

Regards,

Jonathan

bob kaplan

hummmmmm.....some one must own one of these.   Would appreciate an answer for an unmodified engine.   Thank you.

bob kaplan

Might give the added weight a try.   How did you remove the smoke box front.   I don't want to harm the paint or the plastic.
   Thanks.

Trainman203

Mine is unmodified. However I run fairly short trains.  I've pulled 8 or 9 cars up a 2 percent and switched cuts of 12 or 13 cars at a level yard with 28" R curved lead.

I had a problem with my first engine in that the main driver was set such as to be a fulcrum that the engine would rock back and forth on.  I had a Decapod that did the same thing.  If your engine does that, it will have "zero " tractive effort and will climb the rails on a curve.  The Bach Man exchanged my mikado and all was fine.