My North Star Express Has its' Tender But My Track Powered JS Cars Squeak

Started by RkyGriz, November 10, 2017, 06:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RkyGriz

Hi everybody! I received the matching tender for my North Star Express locomotive and they look great together. I've decided to just use my 3 Santa Fe JS cars with this loco/tender without going and buying the matching North Star Express cars as they are very similar in appearance to one another. I just posted a video of this loco with the Santa Fe cars in tow to youtube.You can check it out here :https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKWd0mhMzyE&feature=youtu.be
On another note: I've had some minor problems with the wheels squeaking on all of my JS cars that I have converted over to track power. I use the plunger type brushes that go into the housings on the Bachmann JS passenger trucks. I've tried placing a light coat of oil on the wheels. That works up to a point and then the squeak returns. I just tried using a light coat of Labelle 106 grease. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this product, it contains a Teflon additive ,and is excellent for all  general uses where grease is required for moving parts. So,what do you recommend? Is there something better that last longer or am I stuck with the squeaking?
Thanks guys!
Andrew

armorsmith

I will firs ask 'Did you lubricate the axle ends with a good quality plastic compatible oil or grease?" I have had far more axles squeak than electrical contacts.

Next, unless you use an oil or grease that is 'electrically compatible', you will add more resistance to the circuit and possibly create more issues. If I used anything I would possibly use a bit of graphite. Keep in mind that oil and grease are both insulators. The transformer outside your home on the pole is insulated with oil.

RkyGriz

I use plastic compatible Labelle 106 gear grease for all moving parts that require grease and not oil. I only use Labelle lubrication products on my trains for all moving parts ,and I lubricate them according to the Bachmann recommended lubrication schedule. The Labelle 106 gear grease doesn't appear to be inhibiting the electrical conductivity on my track powered car lighting. It just doesn't last very long. Longer than light oil does,but not as long as I would hope for. Hence my question.

Greg Elmassian

Keep lubing them! The alternative to the intensive maintenance is they will fail.

I use ball bearing wheelsets when I want power pickup for cars, but of course the expense is too high for your coaches.

Greg
Visit my site: lots of tips and techniques: http://www.elmassian.com

Joe Zullo

Check the wheel gauge on the coaches. If they are too wide they will "sing" on the rails. Look at measurement "B" below.