Cant find drive gear for a 1990 G scale Big hauler

Started by amg6108, November 12, 2017, 09:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amg6108

I have train my dad got me when i was born and it doesnt work correctly.  The motor runs but makes a very bad clicking noise when it runs.  I took the wheels off so it was just the three little drive gears attached and it made the noise.  When i take the gears out so its the motor by itself it sounds great.  I want to replace the drive gears but all i can find is a gearbox version.  Mine just have the three gears pinned right through the side of the train frame.  Anyone know where i can find these?  The train is a model # 90015 G scale big hauler from 1990

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi AMG,

Your Rocky Mountain Express Set 90015 locomotive road number #25 unfortunately has the original version 2 chassis which has been out of production  since 1994.  There are no replacement gears for it and it was not the best gearbox.

Your best bet would to get a complete replacement chassis for it which will have the latest reliable version 5 chassis. Check out the link below for more info:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,30394.msg224039.html#msg224039

Your set is a very nice set and worth the cost of a new chassis, especially since it has sentimental value as well.

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

amg6108

Thanks Loco Bll!

Would you recommend buying one and doing it myself or sending it in to the company? I believe it is a lifetime warranty but im not sure what all is covered.

Loco Bill Canelos

Since you seem confidant about removing and replacing the gears, I would think changing out the chassis should not be all that difficult.  I always recommend doing the chassis replacement in one sitting and taking reference photos as you disassemble the old one.  As you go put all the parts and screws you take off and put them in plastic bags and label them, so you get the right screws in the right place when reassembling things.  All in all it is a fairly straight forward job. Just take your time.

As for sending it in, The current service fee is $55 and you pay the shipping to Bachmann and they pay the shipping back to you.  They will replace the chassis with the latest Version 5 chassis.

If you prefer to send it in then fill out the service request at the following link:

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

Bill

amg6108

Thanks Bill!,

Im gonna go ahead and do it myself.  I had fun working on it honestly.  Do you know the model number I should order? I looked at the chassis under the parts section but im not sure which one is the replacement for the 90015?

Loco Bill Canelos

The exact replacement is not available, you will have to use one of the others,

This one will work:
http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=5868

Or this:

http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_671_669&products_id=4093

Both have the Version 5 chassis and are an exact fit, but might have minor paint variations. I seem to remember that your 90015 RGS loco has the all black underframe, cylinders, and saddle, so probably the second one above.  The good news is that whichever one you choose they are both currently on sale.

Have fun with the repair!

Bill

amg6108

Thanks Bill!

You're exactly right, you really know your stuff.  I ordered the chassis so hopefully the train will be under the tree for Christmas.