News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Alco S4 DCC Sound Loco Issues

Started by Noahjacobson, November 15, 2017, 09:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noahjacobson

Hey all, I bought an alco s4 with sound a while back and it has been working just fine until recently it suddenly stopped working and started acting very strangely.

When put on the track the engine lights up, but no sound. Headlight function works fine. Put in reverse, it will move just as normal. Put in forward, it hums for a second (electrical hum not on board sound), then the headlight flashes 10 times and it won't move. All the while, no sound. I'm wondering if this might be a decoder fault? Or maybe an internal short circuit somewhere?

I've tried resetting the decoder (set CV8 value to 8 ) - headlight flashed 16 times and address was defaulted back to 3, but it still does the same thing.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I'm stumped...

AE32028 Decoder No.

Hunt

Remove locomotive shell. Locate, pull off and reseat one at a time the black plastic clip holding in place each of the two wires connecting the motor to the circuit board. Be sure the bare end of the wire is in good contact with the solder pad on the circuit board before and when replacing the clip.

Test run before replacing the shell.

dutchbuilder

Or if you want a guaranteed working connection , solder the wires in place.

Ton

bapguy

From Soundtraxx web site: Fault Light
When the decoder encounters a fault, the red fault light and all installed lighting will flash an
allotted number of times to report an error code. The number of times the light flashes
corresponds to a specific error. Error 10: Over-Voltage Fault
Voltage is monitored during normal operation to automatically deactivate sound and motor
processes when voltage exceeds the decoder's voltage limit. Settings resume when the voltage
is reduced to within limits and will vary between decoder models.  You may have a voltage problem some how. What system are you using?   Joe