DCC install .... remove capacitor ?

Started by Vizzin72, November 15, 2017, 11:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizzin72

A while back I installed a DCC decoder in a Baldwin RF 16 (it was a NCE Bach DSL decoder).  The instructions called for two capacitors to be cut out of the existing engine before installing the chip (everything worked fine).  I am now trying to install a soundtraxx TSU - 1000 decoder and I was wondering is this removal of the stock capacitor something that is done always no matter what brand decoder is being installed?  In other words is this something I am going to have to do again.  It is going in to another RF 16 just like the first engine its just that this time around I want to add sound thus the TSU - 1000.  It is one of those things that the Bach DSL chip came with instructions specifically for Bachman engines which made it easy ... I don't know if the soundtraxx decoder will have similar instructions considering they make it with use on all different kinds of makes and models.

thanks

dutchbuilder

The capacitor is there to suppress radio frequentie interference from the spark of the motor.
It works like a sort of filter.
It can also suppress the dcc signal to the motor and that is what you don't want.
So always remove the C from the motor.

Ton

Vizzin72