News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-10-2 Shell on Light 4-8-2 Mechanism?

Started by Maletrain, November 16, 2017, 01:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maletrain

Has anybody tried to put the shell from a USRA Light 2-10-2 onto the mechanism for the Light 4-8-2?

TJ

Maletrain,

I've been considering placing the 2-10-2 shell on a 4-8-4 ... and not the N. & W. J class either.

TJ

Maletrain

The question for both swaps is how well or poorly they fit the other mechanism.  Anybody with some actual experience?

kewatin

looking at the 2 locomotives ,from pilot step to end of cab ,they both are about the same length 9.5mm.,big drivers versus small drivers,valve gear mech lineup ,maybe would present some clearance problems. the person to ask would be SKIPGEAR aka tony hines. he has over the yrs made many a custom loco.i have not seen him lately but checking his posts he was last here sept20. /17  if any one would know tony would.the concept is an excellent idea but as heavy&light mtns are scarce or like me i would be hesitant to tear mine apart to try a fit.i know tony ,myself &others have pleaded for bachmann to do a rerun,but it seems to have fallen on death ears.you don't even find them on e-bay anymore.SKIPGEAR if you are out there please join in and give us your expertise.i shall continue to follow this thread as it holds some great promise of maybe becoming a reality for those brave enough to take the plunge.
regards&later KEWATIN

Maletrain

Remember I am asking about a LIGHT Mountain shell on a Light 2-10-2 mechanism.

That said, I agree that it seems strange that Bachmann sometimes produces a winner like the Heavy Mountain and then doesn't do any more runs of it.  I will buy one if they ever make another.

kewatin

a good comparison would be to check mark;s spookshow,good photos and stats. i did'nt know that bachmann did a revised new release of the LT,MTN in 2012 changes in motor from open sided to 3 pole closed. also the boiler assemblies have 2 screws ,where as the older version  you had to spread the cab sides apart and according to marks write up were difficult to move forward because of metal weight. i do not know what version you have early or late? it seems my heavy mtns of which i have 4 were mfg. in 2007 then i ask my self where has the time gone ,10 yrs i have had these and they still pull &run excellent.in closing i am sure you have already looked at spookshows web site, and appears you will have challenge
to achieve your goal,then again some folks have more skills than others.
regards&later KEWATIN