News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Consist for HHP-8 ???

Started by Mark F., February 16, 2007, 11:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark F.

I have a Bachmann HO Spectrum HHP-8 on order and I was looking for input as to what type of consist this monster pulls in real life, so I can attempt to replicate it on my new layout.  I kind of "assumed" (bad word, I know) that the Acela Regional Amfleets were the proper cars, so I was going to go with three or four of the Amfleet I Acela Regional coaches (item 13109) plus one of the Amfleet I Acela Regional cafe cars (item 13113).  Then I saw the Phase IV-B and Phase V schemes, which do not appear much different from the basic Phase IV scheme (unless the photos on the Bachmann web site are not current).  I had been out of the hobby for a couple of years, which is why I now find myself asking a newbie question.

Any suggestions would be appreciated (if I had to wager on this I would place my bet on Dave Harrison knowing exactly what to do)...

Thanks,

Mark F.

the Bach-man

Dear Mark,
Choose a selection of Amfleet cars- the trains I've seen rarely match throughout.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

PRRNut

It greatly depends on the year that you prefer to model. If you were to model the years from 1998-2002, you should probably use six Amfleet Acela paint scheme cars, one Amfleet Acela cafe car and one Amfleet Acela business car (Bachmann does not produce business cars, so use an another business car). Of course, from time to time, you'd see Metroliners with only four Acelas.

Now, if you were to model 2003 to 2007, I would suggest that you use the same consist, only with all Phase VI. Of course, you could always add one Phase IV or Acela coach in the consist as an unrepainted car.

Of course, you could always couple up the HHP-8 to a long distance train (Silver Star, Cardinal...). For the Silver star, you could need a 1700 series Amtrak Ph.IV baggage, a 10-6 sleeper in Ph.IV, three Viewliners in IV, a heritage Ph.VI/IV diner, an Amfleet II lounge and three to four Amfleet II Cars (Ph.IV/VI), all of which are produced by Walthers.

Then again, you could use them on the Keystone trains. You'd need only two Ph.VI Amfleets Coaches with one Ph.VI Amfleet Cafe Coach.

Gene P.

I saw an HHP-8 Pulling 4 passenger and 1 cafe car the other day on rails right next to I-195(?) in Jersey. The thing flew right by me. Very cool!!
Twin Forks R.R.

Conrail Quality

The fact is, Amtrak does not care whether or not its Amfleets match, so you could mix anything from phase IV on (You could even throw in a phase III car, they can still be seen ocasionally). If you are putting in a baggage car, it can be almost anything(except 1700 series, they are always IV).

For the number and type of cars, on the northeast corridor, almost anything goes (Within reason, no 8 cafes and and a Superliner). A standard Regional tends to have 6-8 coaches and 1-2 cafes, but almost any variation is possible.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Mark F.

Quote from: PRRNut on February 17, 2007, 04:39:50 PM
It greatly depends on the year that you prefer to model. If you were to model the years from 1998-2002, you should probably use six Amfleet Acela paint scheme cars, one Amfleet Acela cafe car and one Amfleet Acela business car (Bachmann does not produce business cars, so use an another business car). Of course, from time to time, you'd see Metroliners with only four Acelas.

Now, if you were to model 2003 to 2007, I would suggest that you use the same consist, only with all Phase VI. Of course, you could always add one Phase IV or Acela coach in the consist as an unrepainted car.

Of course, you could always couple up the HHP-8 to a long distance train (Silver Star, Cardinal...). For the Silver star, you could need a 1700 series Amtrak Ph.IV baggage, a 10-6 sleeper in Ph.IV, three Viewliners in IV, a heritage Ph.VI/IV diner, an Amfleet II lounge and three to four Amfleet II Cars (Ph.IV/VI), all of which are produced by Walthers.

Then again, you could use them on the Keystone trains. You'd need only two Ph.VI Amfleets Coaches with one Ph.VI Amfleet Cafe Coach.

I really want to use the Acela Regional Amfleets because they are different and I am not a rivet counter, but if I understand you correctly, the Acela Regional paint scheme on the Amfleets did not last very long.  It appears that Amtrak used "Phase V" for the new wavy scheme on the P40/P42 locomotive fleet, and then they modified the Phase IV Amfleet scheme by (1) adding a red stripe along the lower skirting, (2) using a lighter blue color across the window band (3) placing the new Amtrak logo on the cars, and something else that I do not recall.   Is the end result what is now called "Phase IV B" ?  I read somewhere that for the Amfleets, Phase IV B is now being called Phase VI, since Phase V was already used for the Genesis fleet.  I searched through a lot of Amtrak photo sites on the net and it seems that Phase IV B (or Phase 6, if it's the same thing with a new name) is now the Amfleet scheme of choice.  Will all of the Amfleet Acela Regional paint jobs be re-done in Phase IV B ? That's what I concluded.  The shame of it is that I live about 45 or 50 miles from Sunnyside Yard in Queens, where Amtrak lashes up the real-deal consists, but since 9/11 I can't get near the place without risking arrest.