News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Christmas layout

Started by Terry Toenges, November 26, 2017, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I just planned out my Christmas layout using AnyRail. I've never actually planned one out like this before. I usually just do it on the fly (or on the rail? :))
With the discussions lately About figure 8's, I figured I'd go ahead and do one. It goes up on the right and down on the left. It's a 4% grade so I'll to see what loco works best.
This is a mixture of 15" and 18" radius. I got it to all fit together using the short fitter pieces in a couple of places. The tree will go in the middle of the oval on the right. I'm thinking my new On30 Porter with maybe a flat and caboose on the oval. The trolley will be on the lower point-to-point section. I have my new On30 Heisler to try out on the figure 8 or I might just do the 2-6-0 with Christmas cars on the 8.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Well... That was easy. I have the track all laid out and it didn't take much time at all. Before I started using AnyRail, I counted how many pieces of different types of track I had on hand so I wouldn't have to order any more. Then, I worked with what I had to design it.
I still have to put the risers under it, but hard part is over. I used to spend hours bending over the train board trying different pieces here and there until I got something that I liked and that fit together right. Designing it first sure saved a lot of pain in my back from so much bending over that I used to have to do.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It's coming along. I changed the plan a little by adding more track to the right side. That way, I'm able to use a 3% grade for going up. It's still 4% going down but I added a 3% incline starter piece to it to make the transition to level ground easier.
I also have the trolley going from ground level on the right to an inch higher on the left. I used 1" foam on the inside of the 8 to raise the level. That will make the scenic stuff easier to see. One reason I was never a fan of figure 8's is because of the high track in the front of the layout. It's only a Christmas layout and the incline set was a lot easier than building a trestle.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

It's coming along little by little. I use some strip wood to make the bridges wider to accommodate the On30 stuff.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

The "mountains" are done. I had some thin sheets of white bead board (from a cabinet I bought) that I used to cut out the mountains
I have all the wiring done to the train tracks and to the animated pieces. I hung the blue lights on the wall behind it and then hung navy blue sheets in front of the lights. I don't have pics of that yet. I fiddled with oval on the right side and enlarged it a little so now it is an odd shape and not just an oval. I just did that tonight so it's not in the pic yet.

Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Finally got it done this morning. I do have one more animated piece coming that I might try to fit in on the right side.
I have  blue lights on the back wall with navy blue sheet in front of them but they are hard to see.

My back is so glad to have this done. It really got to me the last couple of days. I was glad I had a back doctor visit scheduled this morn so I could get the electrode treatments.

I filled the ore dump cars with presents. Two elves ride in the gondola with bag of presents and flat is loaded with Christmas trees.

Feel like a Mogul.

charon

Great job, Terry.  Wish you could leave it up year-round.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Terry Toenges

Thanks. It would be nice but I would get bored with it after a while. I've put off doing my layout so I could use the platform to do this.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here's the first video of the Christmas layout. This one is pretty much just the trains.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUEionfmuJg
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Feel like a Mogul.

Trainman203

Nice.  You know, with all the "serious " model railroading a lot of us get wrapped up in, I for one miss the simplicity, fun, fantasy, and childhood memories evoked by a Christmas layout.

I wish I'd done one for the grandkids.  They are too old for it now.  Bit every year there are new kids ready for one.  I say do it if you are in the right place and time.

jonathan

Enjoyed watching this project grow!

Great Xmas layout. Amazing how fast you were able to build it.  Congrats.

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Thank for the compliments.
I started doing things like this when the grand kids were little and they are in their early 20's. Now, I have small great grand kids (1 1/2 and 3) so it makes it all worthwhile to see the smiles on their faces when they see it.
I like doing this because I don't have to stick to a particular set of rules. Whatever pops in my mind at the time I'm doing it is what guides me. While some might take issue with the term "playing with trains", I "play with trains".
I had the platform already built in preparation for my regular layout so it didn't take as long this time. Last year, it was on concrete blocks and the second level was elevated with paint cans. This year, it is on rollers. It's so much easier to be able to roll it out and work on the back side.
My back is so thankful it is done. I could only do so much at a time and I would have to give my back a break.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I have a video up on Youtube now of the whole layout. The first part of the video is the outside lights on the house. It's icicle lights and a lamp with a kaleidoscope bulb. Then, it's the mantel with all the stockings. I had an extra string of icicle lights so I put it on the mantel with the stockings. Then it's the whole layout and tree with close ups of the animated pieces. I need a new tripod because this one is jerky for panning and tilting. I put WD40 on it before I started but it didn't help. The last part is the clip of the trains with the sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Bsqeyxab7E
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

Here is a long shot clip of the whole layout with trains and train sound.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkJgmlSKUnQ
Feel like a Mogul.