News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

James is coming soon!

Started by InsideTrack, November 22, 2017, 10:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaz

The motor would have the same control from Hit/Mattel as the face would.  ALL changes have to go by Hit/Mattel not just physical appearances and that's because these are licensed products that Bachmann produce with their license.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Kemptown Branch

Thomas got a new motor with his sound model, and that didn't change the physical appearance. It also wouldn't really matter if James' motor was updated or not either. I got a James in 2014, and it ran very smooth straight from the box, something that people (who got the model earlier than that) said never happens, and that their James models were extremely rough out of the packaging. People also said that Thomas was the strongest of the 3 models from 2002, but my James model could pull another car with Thomas loaded on it, and my Thomas would struggle pulling a mail car and james on a flatbed.

Anyway, did anyone notice that they changed the handrail from white to silver, and that James' paint is so shiny it reflects the splashers on it (something that the Celebration Thomas didn't manage)?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Chaz

The only reason why the sound Thomas model got a new motor had to do with fitting the sound chip and microphone into the model.  It was basically a new product and advertised as a new product meanwhile this is being promoted as a James model to the average consumer.

This is probably the best we are going to get with the James model sadly, and it feels a little redundant that some fans would still have to add modifications to it.

SilviaGunner

I'm sorry Bachmann, But I'll just have to sell all of my Thomas & friends stock made by you sometime next year because I have been losing faith in you ever since the beginning of this year. The same can be said for the actual show, But I digress. As for this image you just released....You barely changed anything! I'm sure you people did your best, But sadly it's not remotely good enough anymore & you just lost a loyal customer. To the rest of my fellow TTTE fans I should consider 3D printing my own models. So wish me luck.

Rickenbacker 325

I agree it is not that big of a change, but you can not disagree that it looks miles better than the original. Just with a change of black parts made it look unbelievably better. I will be getting this and replacing the James that I have had since 2005 when it was only like $50 MSRP.

BTW, I have seen people complaining about the face and how it has not been changed. James was seen in the TV series with this same face, around season 8 if i remember correctly. In my opinion it still looks better than Percy's, but then again you have to remember that the first 5 engines were based on cartoon drawings instead of the actual show. I'm sure Hit had something to do with that on characters that followed.

Edit:
Quote from: SilviaGunner on November 22, 2017, 05:29:15 PM
I'm sorry Bachmann, But I'll just have to sell all of my Thomas & friends stock made by you sometime next year because I have been losing faith in you ever since the beginning of this year. The same can be said for the actual show, But I digress. As for this image you just released....You barely changed anything! I'm sure you people did your best, But sadly it's not remotely good enough anymore & you just lost a loyal customer. To the rest of my fellow TTTE fans I should consider 3D printing my own models. So wish me luck.

Just because you have 'lost faith' in Bachmann doesnt mean you have to sell of what you already have. A lot of people have modified engines to have more detailed parts. I have even seen a modeler that has added handrails to all of his engines and it looks great! Hopefully you can keep what you have and not move on, but looks like none of us can stop you. Good luck on if you do make 3D printed models.

Cheeky_ULP

Quote from: Rickenbacker 325 on November 23, 2017, 12:53:23 PM
James was seen in the TV series with this same face, around season 8 if i remember correctly
James has never had a face like that in the show. Bachmann didn't start using the show for face references until Gordon and Henry.

Rickenbacker 325

Isn't this the same face?

Chaz

Nope, the face on James, as well as the paint errors from the (now) earlier model and error on the smokebox support came from the promotional artwork used in the early 2000's.

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Hmm. Looking at that picture, somehow Bachmann knew to color the front side of James's tender (the side facing the cab) black, but none of the other parts. I wonder how.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow

pjordan831

Hello, does the NEW James have a different item number than the old James? The only one I can see on this site is Item 58743. If there is NOT a new item number, how can I tell if I will receive a NEW James or an OLD James? Thanks!!

Angelob6660

The item number will be the same as the current number.

You will have to ask vendors online if it's the new or older version.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Captain Crutch

Quote from: angelob6660 on November 30, 2017, 09:32:04 PM
The item number will be the same as the current number.

You will have to ask vendors online if it's the new or older version.
That or you could just look at the wheels, if it's still in box, if it's out of box, at this point it's almost definitely a modified old one.
Formerly HLC Railroad, but now I'm back and better than ever!

InsideTrack

Re checking whether a model is the new paint scheme or not: For new James, look for the 2017 copyright date or 17 in the production code below the ISBN box.

Rickenbacker 325

Quote from: InsideTrack on December 01, 2017, 11:27:42 AM
Re checking whether a model is the new paint scheme or not: For new James, look for the 2017 copyright date or 17 in the production code below the ISBN box.

Will James be in the new packaging that Thomas and Rosie are in?

Chaz

I don't see why they wouldn't use the new packaging for James.  Rheneas also got an updated packaging style too with a new box with updated artwork.