News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

4x12 Layout

Started by Newfiegod780, September 03, 2020, 04:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newfiegod780

I am getting ready to start my HO layout but I am having trouble finding a layout I like. I have a 4x12 table, I am not looking for anything crazy, something I can build some nice scenery around. Looking to have two trains run simultaneously if wanted. I just acquired a lot of easy track with 14 switches, a bunch of straights and turns so I have options. Anyone have any good ideas or plans they wish to share?

WoundedBear

https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/search?q=Track+plans

Lots of ideas there. Order a book or two. Take a 4X8 plan and stretch it.

Sid

jward

You can do alot in 4x12. My best advise is to use as many 22r curves  as you can, avoid running long straightaways down the front side of your layout, and to consider the use of #4, #5 OR #6 and avoid the use of those 18r train set switches. One thing that helps is using a track planning software like Anyrail or SCARM to plan out your layout before you build. You can test out ideas on your computer before you commit to buying the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

momotrain

Quote from: jward on September 03, 2020, 07:38:26 PM
You can do alot in 4x12. My best advise is to use as many 22r curves  as you can, avoid running long straightaways down the front side of your layout, and to consider the use of #4, #5 OR #6 and avoid the use of those 18r train set switches. One thing that helps is using a track planning software like Anyrail or SCARM to plan out your layout before you build. You can test out ideas on your computer before you commit to buying the track.

yess a lot of curves are a good idea! not only does it look much nicer, is much more exciting to watch, but also offers you much more possibilities to build things around it and arrange them nicely!