News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

A new layout for the new house!

Started by wiley209, December 02, 2017, 10:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

I have one of those old Bachmann crossing with lights and bell and lowering gates.  But since mine was second-hand (came with a yardsale set), I just thought it was broken somehow.  Turns out, it isn't! Lol

Joe323

I have one more question for you (Not trying to be a pain but I really like the layout you are building) You said you but knuckle couplers on all your cars.  I see that many of them are older Tyco, Life-Like, etc.  Are you just popping out the horn hooks and putting knuckles or are you converting to body mounted couplers?  If the former What couplers are you using and how is it working out?  Can you backup without problems?

bbmiroku

I think I can answer this one.  I recently swapped out my X2F's (horn-hooks) for Kadee couplers.  The Kadee website actually has instructions for most engines and cars from many manufacturers.

https://kadee.com/conv/hocc.htm
Just look up the brand, then the type of engine.  A pdf will give you the parts needed and instructions.

On some cars you can just pop-and-swap, but not many.  But for most of them, you have the choice between body-mounted or keeping the coupler in the bogie (Talgo).  So far, I've been able to back up (sometimes at speed) with no more problems than with the X2Fs, and thy are much easier to uncouple.

wiley209

Quote from: Joe323 on April 10, 2018, 01:51:44 PM
I have one more question for you (Not trying to be a pain but I really like the layout you are building) You said you but knuckle couplers on all your cars.  I see that many of them are older Tyco, Life-Like, etc.  Are you just popping out the horn hooks and putting knuckles or are you converting to body mounted couplers?  If the former What couplers are you using and how is it working out?  Can you backup without problems?

I generally just either install E-Z Mate knuckle couplers (preferably Mark II) with Kadee talgo truck adapters into the talgo coupler pockets, or I would use Life-Like's SceneMaster knuckle couplers, which Walthers unfortunately discontinued a while back (too bad; they were pretty good for a quick-and-easy way to upgrade old AHM, Life-Like and TYCO rolling stock.) On this layout I don't have very many problems backing up the trains with these couplers either, and for the most part they work pretty well with the Bachmann under-track uncoupling magnets.

wiley209

I was at a train expo in Bridgewater MA today so I bought some more stuff...

Not all of it I'm using right away though. (The TYCO Pak I am keeping handy for if I need more power for lights and accessories, of course.)

I'm glad I can now label my Bachmann remote switches (using a supply of old Atlas remote switch labels); at the actual turnouts I will mark them either on the side of the platform, or find another inconspicuous way (like a small signpost.)

Yeah, I know it's kind of gross, but I thought a dog about to mark its' territory on a fire hydrant would be yet another funny sight on my train layout. (Plus, I figured it'd work since my dog is obsessed with hydrants.) And yes, these are Bachmann SceneScapes figures.

Some of the wildlife seen on my train layout, with deer and wolves. The buck and wolves are from Woodland Scenics, while the doe and fawn are Model Power.

Just a couple of railroad crossing action shots.

The obligatory overview shot. I've moved the main freight and the Amtrak train back to their original track loops with virtually no fuss.

wiley209

New photos again...

Just a couple of blissful family moments can be seen here.

A funny sight, courtesy of Woodland Scenics's "Accident Waiting to Happen" HO figure set.

The TYCO hopper car unloading set getting some use.

Both the BNSF freight and Amtrak passenger train pass each other.

Another shot of the BNSF freight in the railroad yard.

Testing the drive-in theater screen with a tablet that fits into it!

wiley209

The Skyview Drive In Theater is up and running!

Yep, I got the ticket booth and the snack bar built!

A train passes by the drive-in as a cheesy horror movie plays at the drive-in! It may not be "Hot Shot Eastbound" (as the train is too modern), but it still looks cool!

An attempt at taking a photo without the flash as the Amtrak train speeds by the drive-in as a snack-bar advertisement plays during the pre-movie intermission.

bbmiroku

Just curious.  What was the movie?

wiley209

Quote from: bbmiroku on April 29, 2018, 07:48:45 PM
Just curious.  What was the movie?

The first and third pictures are just drive-in intermission trailers/advertisements. The second is a clip from "Dracula, the Dirty Old Man," which is a really cheesy adult horror film from 1969. Definitely feels like drive-in movie fare, even if it has nudity (the clip I showed doesn't have any), and even has a scene taking place at a drive-in theater!

James in FL

Love your layout and what you're doing, it's somewhat nostalgia to me.
It's good stuff.
Regarding the fourth picture posted from your post on 4/16, in "what if" the second to last car (dome) derailed?
The Amtrak pic near the edge of the layout.
Have a look, maybe I see something others don't.
That's a long way down,
To me.
Just sayin'.

graywolf

Thanks for the great photos Wiley. I like what I see of your layout and can only guess at the dimensions and track layout. Would you please provide a layout sketch or photo from above with some basic dimensions?  Thanks, Paul

wiley209

I can tell you right now that the dimensions of the L shape are 11x8 feet. It was originally going to be a 12x8 C shape, until we compromised on the size. I will see if I have to modify my old C shape diagram of the layout to show the current L-shape. Once I find it, I'll upload it.

Joe323

I have the talgo adapters but I am not sure how to use them?

Len

Quote from: Joe323 on May 03, 2018, 07:34:17 AM
I have the talgo adapters but I am not sure how to use them?

Fig. 8 shows how to use the #212 talgo adapters: https://kadee.com/html/20&30-serins.pdf

You don't really need the "Insertion Pic" unless you're doing a bunch at once and want to save wear on your fingers. Basically you put the knuckle coupler in the truck, then use the adaptor to fill the gap between the coupler and mounting pin. Rotate the adaptor until it fills the 'H' shaped slot in the talgo mount, then press down.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Joe323

Well after spending a half hour or so I figured out how the adapter works (only to discover that the Kadee 148 I installed was missing its spring) I got the 2 cars I wanted to convert out of the shop and back on the road.  The insertion tool might make it a little easier but I agree with Len it's not needed for just a few cars.