News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Engine not working

Started by bdb, December 21, 2007, 02:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bdb

I just received the Wonderland Flyer Christmas set and appear to have a dead locomotive. I've checked the voltage on the track with a volt meter and everything appears to be fine. The light on the Loco comes on and switches to the tender when the direction switch is changed. But no movement or noise from the locomotive what so ever.

Just trying to see if there is something easy to look for that maybe the culprit. The drive wheels have yet to make a single rotation.

altterrain

Sounds dead to me. Could be a bad switch, broken connection or dead motor. Send it back!

-Brian
President of

Loco Bill Canelos

Brian is right if you just bought this new take it back and excange it for another set.   If you bought it on Ebay take up the issue with the seller.

If you are experienced you can remove the bottom plate and use your meter to check the wires where they attach to the motor. if dead there, then pull the front off the smoke box to expose the back of the switches,  check there for loose wires and solder as necessary.

If all else fails you can contact Bachmann and send it back for repair or replacement.  If it is brand new you will have to bear the cost of shipping to Bachmann and they will fix it and pay the shipping back.   You will need the receipt from an authorized dealer and or the warranty card.  You will find the latest warrnaty info on the Service/Parts tab just below the T in the Bachmann trains lettering at the top of the page.
Good Luck
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bdb

I think that the box must have taken a pretty good jolt during shipment. There was no visible damage anywhere on the box, but the rear truck on the tender was broken as well. I managed to superglue that back together only to have problems with the engine.

My guess is a wire came loose somewhere inside of the engine and taking it apart may cause even more issues. I have continuity between the left side wheels and the right side wheels as well as lights, so guessing my issue is the motor or some wire to the motor.

Oh well, I guess that I have a whole year to get it running for next year's tree.

Loco Bill Canelos

Sorry to hear the bad news, you could still file a claim with the carrier.

If it your first train purchase, it is certainly discouraging.  If you have another engine hopefully you can use it to pull the Wonderland Flyer Cars.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

bdb

This was my first G-gauge train and first Bachmann. I have several O-gauge trains.

So this year it will be a stationary train under the tree.

I sent all my information to customer service, hopefully they will take care of things. Since there was no visible damage on the box, I doubt if the shipper will have any liability.

Jon D. Miller

This is just a WAG since I don't have any of the 10-Wheelers built in the last year or so.

Do the new Anniversary 10-Wheelers have the three position switch behind the smokebox door?  You know: NMRA-Off-Large Scale.

If they do then possibly the switch is in the center OFF position. 

Might want to check to make sure that switch is fully to the right in the Large Scale position or to the left in NMRA.  Left and right  as you face the front of the engine.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

bdb

This one has a 2 position switch, Large Scale and NMRA. All it appears to do is switch the headlight from the Loco to Tender. Same with the direction switch on the transformer.

About the only thing that appears to work on the engine is the light.

the Bach-man

Dear BDB,
Sorry to hear that. We will certainly replace the loco and tender.
Merry Christmas anyway!
the Bach-man