News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track power

Started by Caliente Jim, December 08, 2017, 02:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliente Jim

Hello, I'm an O scale AC power guy who wants to run an N scale DC train on my 16 x 12 foot layout.  I have a 56 foot loop for the N scale train.  Like O scale I powered the track every 6 feet with 16 gauge wire connecting terminal block strips.  I connected Bachmann 10 inch straight track with wires to the terminal strips.  Powered it all up and.. nothing.  I was certain to connect all common together and all hot together. 

I then disconnected all the terminal stips and hooked the 56 foot loop up to power with ONE track section.  Now the train runs the full 56 foot loop with only one hook up to my tiny stock power supply!  Go figure.

Although I should "leave it alone stupid as long as it works" , I still have questions.

Don"t DC powered trains need power every 6 feet or so to maintain full power? What did I do wrong?

Thanks, educate me PLEASE

Flare

Using multiple power feeders is best practice, but the two rails can still carry all the necessary power without them.  (Assuming all the joiners are properly connected and layout isn't large enough to suffer from voltage drop)

Did you try using a continuity tester or multimeter on the rails?

gatrhumpy

You probably crossed wires creating a short circuit.

Fred Klein

If you're using Bachmann EZTrack, it is possible to inadvertently flip one of the track power connectors (they can go in either way) and thereby cause a short (been there, done that). The way that I troubleshoot this problem is to unplug all of the track power connectors except one, try it with a locomotive, plug in another connector in addition to the first one, try it again ... well, you get the idea. When you plug in a connector and the locomotive doesn't work anymore, unplug that connector, flip it over, and see if that solves your problem. Hope this helps.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Caliente Jim

Thanks for your help.  It was a short and it did involve the EZ track connectors. Now I know!

brokemoto

Quote from: Caliente Jim on December 09, 2017, 02:43:12 PM
It was a short and it did involve the EZ track connectors

The cords for the switch machines also go either way.  You might switch it to diverging and nothing happens, but when you switch it to main it goes to diverging.  The remedy is the same:  flip over the plug.  Take a piece of tape and mark the "up" side.

One thing that I like about Kato products is their "idiot proof" construction.  Many Kato products only go together one way.

Franz T

Quote from: brokemoto on December 10, 2017, 09:54:09 PM

One thing that I like about Kato products is their "idiot proof" construction.  Many Kato products only go together one way.

There is an old saying:"Just as soon as you make something idiot proof, someone goes and makes a better idiot"... ;D