News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Decoder used in a HO 2-8-8-4 EA-1

Started by willykalon, December 11, 2017, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willykalon

I bought a bachmann Spectrum 2-8-8-4 while on holiday in the U.S.A. ( I live in the U.K.) I was informed the the decoder to be used in this locomotive was not in stock, I was then told Bachmann was not ordering anymore in the near future. My problem is that I got a 21 pin decoder from Soundtraxx and all the sounds work except the Chuff,s.

I am wondering if anyone knows who's decoder might work in this locomotive the Item number is 80405. The present decoder was provided by the store that I bought the loco from, It was soundtraxx that told me about Bachmann not ordering in the near future.

Hope someone can shed some light on this, thanks in advance.... WILLY.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

I think the problem you are having with the chuffs is that the 21 pin socket on the PCB is meant for the soundchip that had been made for that engine. The Sound chip had been made specially for the EM-1. One solution I have would be to replace the PCB with a Soundtraxx Decoder that has the plain wiring harness and hardwire the decoder in.

jonathan

That is correct.  The EM-1 has a DCC decoder already built in to the tender.  The "sound card" for the EM-1 is just that. It is merely a card holding the sounds for the EM-1 only, connected via a 21-pin plug.  If you have the plug already, many folks accidently install the plug upside-down, making the sounds respond incorrectly, if at all.

If you wish to install an aftermarket sound/motion decoder, you will indeed need to remove the electronics panel inside the tender. Then solder the connecting wires to the new decoder.  Not an impossible task, but there will be quite a few black wires to trace and solder to the new decoder. 

Regards,

Jonathan

willykalon

Just had a reply from Soundtraxx and was told to change CV 217 to a value of 8, and it worked, locomotive is now chuffing with the rest....