96240 Christmas Cart overhaul.. little help please

Started by nwishart, December 09, 2017, 04:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwishart

I have pulled out the christmas cart from the attic in an attempt to fix why it was placed there to begin with :)  The axle gears which is a normal issue with this cart were split and an easy fix. 
Where I am falling short is with the drive belt and motor.  Because it sat so long the drive belt dried and is holding an oval shape which no longer bites so I need to replace the belt.  Can anyone give me the size belt that was used.  Im guessing anywhere between 17-20mm.. its impossible for me to measure exactly since its stretched and no longer holds its round shape.  Since I have to take apart the electric motor to actually replace the belt I was considering updating the motor as well.  There are plenty of micro rc motors out there but am hesitant without knowing any specs of the original.  Can anyone help me with the OE electric motor specs?  RPM, voltage, etc.....  Thanks for any advice/info available.

Loco Bill Canelos

Hi

Your Christmas Hand Car motor should be Ok and not need replacement. The only suggestion I have on the belt it to go to a store which sells "o rings" and buy sizes from 16mm to 22mm and see if one of those sizes works.

Hopefully others with better ideas will post them!

Loco Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

nwishart

I thought about the o-rings but I was worried they would be to thick and not pliable enough to be stretched around the pulleys.  Its worth a shot.. something is better than nothing and i can get a range of sizes pretty cheaply from the local hardware store.  The only other idea I had was to try square cassette belts from electronics in the same manner, get a range of sizes and experiment til i get one that bites both pulleys.  Have you repaired one of these belt drives and used an o ring with success?

Loco Bill Canelos

I have not personally done it but a former member of my club did a few years ago.  Although I am not certain where he got them.  If you are in the USA and have access to a Harbor Freight Store, they have O ring assortments in both sae and metric sizes.  some are in different materials, but I would go with nitrile. 

If one of you solutions works out well, please share it here. 

Also any readers on the forum who have had success please post it.

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!