News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

2-4-2 lyn loco

Started by petertoot, December 08, 2007, 04:27:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petertoot

hi guys,isee a lyn loco on thebay,as new not run,is this loco a good runner,i want to copy a model of our famous puffing billy,which is 2-6-2,the wheel config is not big problem,is the running gear the same as the new porter,im not sure,any help is good help,thanks peter :) :)

Jon D. Miller

The motor block of the Lyn does not even come close to that of the new side tank or saddle tank Porter.

The Lyn was introduced sometime around late 1993 or early 1994.  It was Bachmann's first offering to carry the designation of Spectrum.  The Lyn was never catalogued, to the best of my knowledge.  The locomotive was sold in a regular Bachmann box with a sleeve that has the picture of the Lynn and the Spectrum 'G' designation.

They are very poor runners, by my estimation.  Geared way too high. They will not pull much and have no low speed power.  Being geared so high they run like a scalded dog, overheat the motor, melt the motor mounts, and at that point end up on the rip track.

The motors have very large diameter brass worm gears.  Bachmann's claim at the time they were introduced was that these heavier worm gears would act as flywheels.  Maybe so, but they sure did not help locomotive performance.

The motor case is made in two halves, right and left.  In order to get into the case the drivers must be pried from the nylon drive gears.  Once that's done the case can be taken apart.

On balance, not a locomotive that would provide good service.  It would be a shame to use a Lyn for a bash if its motor block was retained.  All that work for a locomotive that won't pull much, melts its motor mounts, and is only comfortable at running at about Mach I.

This is a bashed Lyn.  I did this work shortly after the Lyn was introduced.  Had I known what a poor runner and short lived the drive train was my time would have been better spent on some other project. :P

If it were me, I'd take a pass on this one.
Poster Child (unofficial & uncompensated)

Steve Stockham

Jon's assesment of the Lyn is dead on accurate! There is a second "Americanized" version of this engine (lettered as Coal Creek Lumber Co. #3) which was improved with more detailing and a lower gear ratio but the overall robustness of the drivetrain is still extremely weak! I personally have two of these engines (one as a donor in case of the first one failing) but rarely use it since the new Spectrum Side-Tank Porter showed up! ;) The gearing is very close so I was able to double-head them for a short time and even though I used to think that the CC#3 was a smooth runner, the Porter made mincemeat out of it! Seriously, stick with the new Porter! It's properly proportioned, a good puller for it's size with a smooth running, robust drivetrain! You'll be much more satisfied in the end! ;D

petertoot

;) ;)thanks for the replys,i have one of the new porters,as you say excell runner,but i was thinking of bashing the body of the lyn,but better not to waste money on purchase,should buy onother porter,thanks,peter