News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann EZ track questions

Started by Bill Baker, December 12, 2017, 03:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Baker

I bought some Bachmann EZ track in hopes of curing an unleveled part of my layout.  I have 2 questions.

1. Before I tear out my old track, could someone advise me how to connect my existing track to the elevated Bachmann piece.  Currently the old track is attached to cork roadbed and it appears to be about an eighth to one sixteenth of an inch in elevation separation.  I know I must cut the plastic connectors on the EZ track in order to mate with my old code 83 track.  I only have about 2 inches to play with.

2.  The EZ track has a very low cross tie profile and I prefer to have my ties showing through the ballast.  In gluing my ballast down, should I affix my ballast down first then glue, or glue the roadbed first then smooth it out?

Any ideas would certainly be appreciated.

Bill
Bill

Len

I use carpenters shims, available at most home improvement stores, to transition from cork to EZ-Track height. Some folks use cardstock built up in layers.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Bachmann HO E-Z Track is code 100.

Flare

Woodland Scenics makes foam inclines you can slide under the cork, you can cut them to the length you need.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/INCLDECLSTART/page/1

You'll also need some transition rail joiners to connect code 100 to code 83 without creating a 'step' that could harm the wheels.

https://www.micromark.com/Ho-Trans-Joiner-83-100-36

Hunt

Difficult to remove rail joiners from Bachmann E-Z Track without damage to track.

Flare

Quote from: Hunt on December 12, 2017, 05:35:55 PM
Difficult to remove rail joiners from Bachmann E-Z Track without damage to track.

He's not kidding, You'll need a pair of pliers to grasp the joiner and pray that the rail doesn't come off with it.

Len

Another option is to flatten the EZ-Track rail joiner with a pair of pliars, and bend slightly so the code 83 rail top and inside edge align with the EZ-Track code 100 rail. Then solder the code 83 rail to the top of the rail joiner. Use a transition joiner on the other rail.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Bill Baker

Thanks to those who replied.

Flare:  I wasn't aware of the composite rail joiners....also thanks for the web connection.  That helps a lot.

Hunt:  I figured the EZ track was 100 code based on their ad in MR.  Before I start cutting, grinding and cussing I think I might use my dremmel tool to shave down the code 100 rail to make it more compatible to the 83.  I've done that in the past with no problems.  The only cutting I plan to do is at one end of an EZ straight section.  Currently I plan to only cut off the connection tabs.  As I said in my original post I only have about 2 inches to play with.  I have two 90 degree crossovers that must connect to the end of the EZ straight section and it would be a nightmare to remove them.  I sure would appreciate your thoughts on that.

Oh, by the way, do you charge fees for consultation?   :)
Bill