Can a F7-A diesel locomotive be convered to DCC

Started by Tim H, December 12, 2017, 06:10:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim H

Hi,

I just bought the Super Chief train set to put under the tree.  Five days later the bug has bit.  I have been buying more cars and more track and now want to know if I can convert this locomotive over to DCC?  I have found places on line that say yes but I just wanted to confirm with the source.
thank you,

Tim H

spookshow

It depends on which version of the F7 is included in that particular set. Prior to 2013, the Bachmann F7 was not DCC Ready (making decoder installation quite difficult) -

In 2013, the F7 was completely revised to include a factory-installed decoder -

I don't know which one Bachmann is including in their trainsets, but my guess is that it's the older version.

-Mark

Len

If it's the older unit, it can be done, but it's not a simple job. Here are instructions on doing the installation on an old style F7-B, which uses a similar chassis: http://www.tcsdcc.com/Customer_Content/Installation_Pictures/N_Scale/Bachmann/F7B/index.html

They call for a TCS decoder, but the instructions are the same for any decoder that will fit. Using a Z-scale decoder, with the right amp rating, will probably make it easier to fit in.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

brokemoto

The shells from all three versions of this are interchangeable.  When Generation Two of these appeared, I simply bought another road name and put my B&O shells from the PLUS version onto them. When the DCC versions appeared, I bought yet another road name and swapped those shells, again,  for the B&O.

If you find one cheap in another road name, but it and swap the shells, if you find the DCC conversion too daunting to do it yourself.

I do not use DCC myself, but the decoder equipped F-7s run better than do Generation Two.  The decoder on B-mann power is dual mode.

Tim H

I appreciate all the information. Thank you to everybody that replied. I will now digest the info and see what comes up. That didn't sound right did it. But once again thanks and I'm hoping that I have one of the later model units I'll take a look under the hood.