News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Unplug Controller?

Started by DAVISinGP, December 13, 2017, 04:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAVISinGP

Hi all,

I'm new to the hobby and am greatly enjoying my Bachmann Digital Commander.

I've already found very useful information on this forum as a lurker for the past couple of months. Now as a member, I'll no doubt have many questions. So here's the first.

I'm curious what the general feeling is about unplugging the controller (DCC) when not in use. I've been leaving it plugged in overnight (turned 'off' of course) unless I'm going to be away for a few days. I'd prefer to leave it plugged in if there is no danger of damage.

There's probably no agreed-upon answer, but I am curious as to what Bachmann recommends and what others do.

Thanks.

Flare

I always unplug my layout when not in use.

If something creates a short circuit I want to be present to correct the problem.

DAVISinGP

Thanks for your feedback. (It's a bit quiet in here, eh?  ;))

jward

you could, and should, plug it into a surge protector. That way, you can flip the on off switch on the surge protector to kill power to the layout. I've done this for years with no problems.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

DAVISinGP

That's a good idea.

My concern about unplugging the controller was that it might lose its memory (i.e. DCC addresses) if unplugged for a while.

Flare

That's a possibility if left alone long enough, that's why it's a very good idea to write down addresses, CVs, and other non-factory changes you make in case they need to be reprogrammed.

jward

FLare, don't give inaccurate info. Addresses, CVs and the like are stored in the decoder, not the controller. There is no danger of losing them if the controller is unplugged. If this info was stored in the controller, you'd have to reprogram the decoder every time you took your locomotives to a train club, a friend's layout, etc. The fact that you don't is proof this info is in the decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

2foot6

Even though I use a different DCC system ,I always turn off the power when not in use.I have done this for the last fifteen years with no problems.........Peter.

Flare

Quote from: jward on December 17, 2017, 06:25:51 AM
FLare, don't give inaccurate info. Addresses, CVs and the like are stored in the decoder, not the controller. There is no danger of losing them if the controller is unplugged. If this info was stored in the controller, you'd have to reprogram the decoder every time you took your locomotives to a train club, a friend's layout, etc. The fact that you don't is proof this info is in the decoder.

Yes, but what is the lifespan of the data in the decoders?  I've read that solid state memory can be lost if left unpowered long enough.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/205382-ssds-can-lose-data-in-as-little-as-7-days-without-power

jward

Loss of data hasn't been a problem with usb drives, and if it were a major problem with decoders, don't you think people would give up on DCC? Nobody wants to reprogram decoders every time they want to run trains.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA