Getting started and need some help

Started by Grump, December 22, 2017, 10:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grump

I am just getting started and would like some help. I do not have a local hobby shop to visit and the nearest club is over an hour away. I have several dc sets and quite few cars. I would like to construct a lay out. I am debating on svc and sound but know nothing about them. Any help would be appreciated

Trainman203

A google search for "getting started in model railroading " should turn up many good books that include basic layout construction.

DCC is another issue.  It is an involved  project for even an experienced modeler to convert a DC engine to DCC.  If you want DCC it's probably best to mostly start over.  Bachmann has several DCC train sets, with good sound, ready to go.  Get one, keep the cars and track  from the DC sets, sell the DC engines, and acquire new DCC / sound ones that are probably better anyway.

Grump

Ok a couple questions. Can you get dcc and sound in n scale ready to run set? N scale is more space saving, and I do have a n scale that needs an engine....though ho seems to be more predominant

jward

If you already have dc sets, why not just build a dc layout to start? The wiring isn't that hard to do, and there are numerous plan books out there that show how to wire the plans within. There are also web pages that contain similar info. There isn't the steep learning curve you have with DCC, and dc trains are much less susceptible to dirty track.

Once you have things up and running, you can decide if dcc is worth the added expense.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Deland

I agree with jWard. And in most cases, if the layout isn't really complicated, a simple switch over of engines and power supply is all that's needed to go DCC. In fact, some use a double pole double throw switch wired in and can run either way.