News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC in the DCC ready Porter and 2-4-2

Started by choochooPete, December 28, 2017, 05:37:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choochooPete

Hi,
           I was just wondering with these 2 DCC ready Locos.   Is the Chuff ( for sound) worked by a Cam similar to other Bachmann large Scale Locos? 

Kevin Strong

I know the latest 0-4-0 Porter has mechanical chuff triggers on the axles. I don't know about the 2-4-2, but I'd think it would given both locos got similar drive upgrades when they were re-released.

Having said that, depending which DCC decoder you use, you may or may not have the option of using a chuff cam. The latest decoders from Soundtraxx (Econami and Tsunami2) rely on BEMF calibration to control the chuff rate. It's pretty darned accurate, too--much better than older generations of that technology.

Later,

K

choochooPete

Thank you Kevin.

Back in the day when Soundtraxx did the DSX range I bought a few.  Thats what I will be using.  I also have some of the Digitrax sound bugs etc.  I prefer Cam chuff as I find it easier to get a synchronised chuff without using speed tables, which I have personally struggled with getting sound to match.

Thank you for letting me know.

Pete.

A Trainman

Pete,
I have the re-released, newest, 2-4-2 and it does have the chuff cam on the front set of the driver wheels, the rear drivers have the driven gear from the motor.
Also, the chuff cam has four contacts, across the axle, so the chuffs are correctly quartered, four chuffs per revolution unlike the Big Haulers that only have two contacts for two chuffs per revolution.
Why Bachmann does that is beyond me? Perhaps their very basic chuff-card can't handle four chuffs at higher speeds.

For what its worth, hope this helps.

Adam