What decoder is used in the Bachmnn SP Daylight #4449 RAILFAN - GS4 4-8-4?

Started by Sprocket1980, December 29, 2017, 01:13:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sprocket1980

I recently purchased a Bachmann SP Daylight #4449 RAILFAN - GS4 4-8-4 - DCC SOUND VALUE (HO) locomotive (model #53101.)  I'm trying to figure out exactly what Sound Decoder is used in this model.  I use JMRI (ver 4.6) Decoder Pro on a Programming Track to program all my DCC decoder equipped locos. When I use it try to identify the decoder used in this loco, it lists a dozen or more different SoundTraxx Tsunami profiles, none of which are identified as a GS4 4-8-4.  I've tried a couple of the various decoder profiles but each one (so far) has left me with no sound from the locomotive.  When I reset the decoder to factory defaults, the sound functions return but I would really like to modify some of the options.  I just can't seem to find the profile that works with it.  Does anyone have any insight into which profile I should use?

jonathan

Sprocket,

I use JMRI for programming, as well.

Could be wrong, but I would suggest that JMRI has not yet added the GS4 profile to their list, yet.  I can't recall how new this model might be.

You may want to check the JMRI site for an update.  Just off the top of my head...

Regards,

Jonathan

Sprocket1980

Quote from: jonathan on December 29, 2017, 08:32:04 AM

You may want to check the JMRI site for an update.  Just off the top of my head...

Thanks Jonathan, I've upgraded JMRI to the latest "Production" release from Dec 19, 2017, but there is still no decoder listed that is specific to the GS4 4-8-4.  I suspect that the decoder used is a previous version designed for a different model configuration-- I just haven't figured out which one it is.  Without dis-assembling the loco and finding a model number on the decoder hardware itself (which I would really like to avoid doing) I'm hoping someone can identify the decoder used in this particular Bachmann model. JMRI identifies no less than 37 different decoders as possible matches. Because my programming track is in a separate room from my mainline, it would take me many days, if not weeks, to try each one, move the loco to the mainline for testing, and then move it back to my programming track for the next iteration. 

Regards,
-- Sprocket

UnumProvident101

Len

The SoundValue decoder is more or less a stripped down Tsunami. Not all of the CV's are supported. This should help:

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/images/bachmann/pdf/ggs4_AE32069.pdf

Newer stuff is supposed to start using the 'Econami' decoders to provide 'SoundValue Enhanced' with more features. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jonathan

Another thought:

JMRI has an "auto detect" feature. At least when using my SPROG it does.

That feature is sporadic in reliability. I've had a little luck using it, meaning, I'm not sure how much I trust it.

Regards,

Jonathan

Hunt

The Sound Value decoder installed in the GS4 4-8-4 is a SoundTraxx Sound Value three function output decoder. However, just two of the three function outputs are used in the model.

While the Sound Value decoders do have some similar CVs to those found in a SoundTraxx Tsunami, the Sound Value decoders are not Tsunami decoders, stripped down or otherwise.  The Sound Value decoders are in a different family of decoders than Tsunami decoder. 

Sprocket1980

Quote from: Len on December 29, 2017, 03:45:29 PM
The SoundValue decoder is more or less a stripped down Tsunami. Not all of the CV's are supported. This should help:

http://www.soundtraxx.com/factory/images/bachmann/pdf/ggs4_AE32069.pdf

Len

Thanks for the link. I'll print that page out and file it.  Unfortunately, it still doesn't give me any idea which JMRI profile to start with, though.

Sprocket1980

Quote from: jonathan on December 29, 2017, 04:15:19 PM
Another thought:

JMRI has an "auto detect" feature. At least when using my SPROG it does.

Regards,

Jonathan

Yeah, that's what I used.  The bad thing is, JMRI "auto detects" 37 different decoders as being compatible. That's the problem. :-(