Is Bachmann's green painted Southern Baldwin 2-8-0 fact or fiction?

Started by Searsport, January 08, 2018, 05:09:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

Bill save the old boiler and tender shell for parts.  The cab could sit outside your engine shop.  The bell can be used on something else, especially the Bachmann mogul which has a terrible bell casting in comparison.  The old tender shell can be put on a flat car to add to a MOW train .

Trainman203

Also, the headlight and air pump are probably still good, save them for future projects and use as yard clutter around your engine shop.  The injectors and feed water pipes will be useful in the future too.  Keep the domes too, I think they pop out towards the inside of the shell.  There's a lot of good stuff there.

Searsport

Hi, re a tender for my SOU #721 2-8-0 body on its way from the Bachmann spares shop, I have an unlettered Spectrum Vanderbilt medium coal tender and have been searching for evidence of such running on the Southern without success. Did they use Vandy tenders at all? and was one ever hooked up to a 2-8-0??

As always, grateful for any info.
Thanks,
Bill.

PS, why on the message board when i write "Bachmann" does it get underlined in red as if it is a spelling error? Does the Bachmann website not know how to spell Bachmann???

Trainman203

No Vanderbilt tenders that I know of on the SR.  The NC&StL used them quite a bit  though .

Here's what you ought to do with that Vanderbilt tender.   The Bachmann 2-8-0 prototype is an IC 900 class .  At some early point some of them had coal Vanderbilt tenders.  Makes sense since the IC was a Harriman road like the SP and UP, also big Vanderbilt tender users.

Buy another Bachmann 2-8-0 , put your Vanderbilt tender behind it, and letter it for IC.  Then letter the leftover rectangular tender for SR and put it behind your SR engine. Move the bell to the smokebox front, put a forward tilted steamboat whistle on the left side of the steam dome and by criminy you have a presentable SR 2-8-0!

Or ..... contact me offline and I'll buy that Vandy from you 😂.