Bachmann Spectrum USRA Heavy Mountain 4-8-2 LOCO Question

Started by renegade5150, January 09, 2018, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

renegade5150

Greetings,

One of the windows on the left side of my loco (82506) have fallen out and I'm wondering how i can safely get into the cab so that I can glue the window back in.   Is removing the shell the only way to give me enough room to do so?  If so, does anyone have instructions on how to do this safely w/o damaging the loco?  Thanks! 

jonathan

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/dwg/dwgs/H825X-IS001.PDF

It has been a very long time since I worked on my Heavy Mountains.  However, I remember the cab (plastic) is removable from the boiler (metal).  If memory serves, there is some sort of weak glue holding the cab in place. If you are gentle, you should be able to pry off the cab... slooowly.  I don't recall there being a screw that holds the cab on, but I could be wrong about that.

I would recommend taking the boiler off the frame.  You will have to slide the boiler stays out of the smokebox and remove the screw under the cab section.  Refer to the diagram I linked above.

If all that is too much, a good pair of cross-hatch tweezers may provide enough reach to replace the window. 

Regards,

Jonathan