News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Troubleshooting Uncoupling

Started by yosie46, December 19, 2017, 11:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yosie46

I am new to HO model railroading, and have a question re: troubleshooting accidental uncoupling. I purchased a very basic Bachmann Sante Fe kit, with a diesel engine, 2 cars and a caboose, speed controller, and track. If I had to do it over, I probably would have purchased my equipment seperately, rather than in a kit. Nonetheless, getting back on track, I have had a problem from the start with the engines and freight cars constantly uncoupling, as the train goes around the 36" circular track. Before I expand the setup, I would like to resolve this undesired uncoupling problem. Any suggestions from the veteran model railroaders as to what I am doing wrong, and what I can do to correct this problem? Is there some sort of adjustment to the magnetic knuckle couplers I must make? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Flare

Is the track set up on an even surface?  Bumps or humps can disconnect the cars.

What set did you buy?  If it's an older one it's possible that the cars would benefit from upgrading the couplers to Bachmann's E-Z Mate Mark II couplers, or even Kadee's metal couplers.

Are the magnetic 'air hoses' hanging too low and catching on the rails?  I bend them up a bit using two pairs of pliers.

Another thing you can check is that the couplers are all at the same height, if they're a bit off the problem of uneven track is magnified.

Trainman203

Buying a Kadee coupler height gauge would really help.

yosie46

Thanks for the responses. They are appreciated. I believe the board I am using is level. I just purchased a coupler guage, and will get a pliers designed for adjusting the trip wire. Hopefully your suggestions will correct the problem.

Stan

Trainman203

Kadee 's web site is a gold mine of coupler information.

jward

before you spend money, look carefully at the couplers themselves. when they are coupled, do their heights match. If not you need to adjust one so that they are even. Do they have small springs on the side of the knuckle? if so, are all the springs present?  missing knuckle springs can cause uncoupling.

Is the problem between two specific cars? or does it affect all cars and the locomotive at random?

I wouldn't mess with the trip pins. From your description, all you have is a circle of track with no switches or crossings for the pins to hang up on. So that can't be your problem. Trust me, if you have a trip pin low enough to snag the ties on a normal piece of track, you've got alot worse problems than a trip pin.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA