News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Adding weight to tankers

Started by rstroud, December 08, 2017, 08:35:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trainman203

My mistake.  And my sincere apology.  Wasn't intended at all as a "correction " but that's how it was perceived, and perception is everything in any interaction.

If it had been me , I would have wanted and enjoyed receiving more information about railroading and an addition to my railroad vocabulary . But not everyone is like me.  I'll take that into account in the future.

rstroud

I do appreciate the info and/or advice, but starting out with a language lesson wasn't necessary and is childish in my opinion. Tanker/Tank Car...everyone knows what the reference was and it really depends on which region you live in as to which term some may use.

Trainman203

Your opinion is only your opinion, stroud.  You may think whatever you wish.  I'm way too old to get my feelings hurt one way or another.

I was not intending to offer a language lesson at all.  I'm speaking from over 50 years of being around the prototype.  Tank cars were always called tank cars.  By everyone in the industry I ever talked to about them in all those years, from train crews to management.  Regionality has nothing to do with it.  That is a fact.  If you don't like that, it's totally fine with me.  I'm not arguing with you or correcting you at all, just stating a fact.  Call them whatever you want.

Len

Trainman - Agreed. I was a chemical operator for Pfizer 'back when', and had to deal with filling and unloading tank cars. Everyone in the plant, even if they had nothing to do with the rail operations, called them tank cars.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Trainman203

BTW, if anyone sees anything needing correction in anything I post here, I welcome it.  Even at my advanced age , I enjoy learning.

Terry Toenges

Since I try to practice economy of verbiage, I'd probably called them tankers since it has one less letter and no spaces. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

Jhanecker2

No offense Gentlemen  a tanker has been a ship for much longer and still is . John2 .

Trainman203

That brings up an interesting question.... when "was" the first "tanker?"  I think the first "tank cars " beyond vats on flat cars might have been the 1890's.

Terry Toenges

Apparently it was the late 1860's. It says by 1866, oil haulers were using vertical Densmore tanks then a year later switched to the horizontal ones.
https://aoghs.org/transportation/densmore-oil-tank-car/
Another site -
http://www.petroleumhistory.org/OilHistory/pages/TankCars/Evolution.html

Feel like a Mogul.

jward

Back to the original question.
I've found that HO tankers are big enough that you can use pennies as weights, The Bachmann 3 dome car has an interior saddle type frame that the tank body fits over, and you can glue the pennies vertically in the saddle. I've found that 5 cents in each end brings the car up to NMRA weight.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

Repeat: tank car is the industry calls those cars.  Tanker is what non industry people call them.  Fact.  Sorry.

jward

Don't y'all think that the argument over what to call those cars has detracted from the posts that actually HELP the guy?
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Trainman203

I gave several helpful tips early. And I don't think it's an argument.  Industry call them something, the public calls them something else.