Main Menu

Isolating a#6 crossover, how is this done

Started by Robertn8273, January 15, 2018, 09:45:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robertn8273

Len

Quote from: Robertn8273 on January 15, 2018, 09:45:16 PM
How do you isolate a #6 crossover using DC

It's not simple. Gaps have to be cut both in the rails on top and the power traces underneath to isolate the two sides from each other. There used to be a web page showing what had to be done, but it's long gone. I don't know if anyone else has 'mirrored' the information on another site.

As often as this question comes up, you'd think Bachmann would have redesigned the crossovers with removable jumpers so they can be used with DC or DCC layouts.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Hunt

Robertn8273,

You may want to wait to use the #6 Crossover in a layout powered with DCC as intended by Bachmann.

Caution – Most of the instructions, which can be found,  to modify the Bachmann #6 remote crossover turnout 447575 and 44576 for use in a DC power layout are not accurate,  Do not use any instructions that have you cutting any wires. 

Len has covered what is required. However, it is easy for most to botch the modifications without illustrated instructions. Even with good illustrated instructions, many botch the required modifications. 

Robertn8273

My granddaughter is going to be so mad at grandpa that her train can't get to the other track to go through the tunnel.
When I put the crossover in to connect the two tracks there isn't enough power to make 1 lap, I'm guessing even if I change over to DCC I would need some kind of power booster.
Is there a bigger transformer to run the large layout in DC using the EZ track? When I seen the one transformer trying to control the whole track I didn't plug the other in, I didn't want to see what would happen.
She is going to be so bummed. I would be nice if someone had the illustrations on how to isolate.

Robertn8273

I was successful in isolating the crossover between the two tracks, even the switches work. It's not easy, Len was right, you have to take it completely apart and remove the copper bands connecting all the tracks. There is a dead spot between the frogs which the train runs through then picks up power from the other controler. Next time I feel like taking it apart I'll cut the tracks in the middle and solder jumpers to shorten the dead spot. But it works! My granddaughter is going to be happy. It is confusing to control with the switches and the right direction, she'll crash a couple times but she'll get it.

Nightwing

Quote from: Hunt on January 16, 2018, 03:34:19 PM
Robertn8273,

You may want to wait to use the #6 Crossover in a layout powered with DCC as intended by Bachmann.

Caution – Most of the instructions, which can be found,  to modify the Bachmann #6 remote crossover turnout 447575 and 44576 for use in a DC power layout are not accurate,  Do not use any instructions that have you cutting any wires. 

Len has covered what is required. However, it is easy for most to botch the modifications without illustrated instructions. Even with good illustrated instructions, many botch the required modifications. 

I have the above part numbers on order for use on my new DCC layout.  I am going to control them with the push buttons they come with powered from a separate power pack.  Bachmann does make DCC crossovers that need no wiring.  They are operated by the DCC controller.  Unfortunately, they are on back order and very scarce.

bbmiroku

I would just hook up two controllers to the sections for DC operation.  For same control, use regular railjoiners.  For separated control, use plastic joiners.

Jhanecker2

would it not be  easier  to take two  # 6  turnouts and make a cross over  with them and isolate them where necessary ? i am sure this has been done before. John 2 .