JINGLE BELL EXPRESS & DCC QUESTIONS

Started by DaveD, January 17, 2018, 08:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveD

I recently purchased a Bachmann HO scale Jingle Bell Express train set, model #00724.
It came with a USRA 0-6-0 locomotive.
QUESTIONS:
•   Is there a DCC version of this locomotive available? (One that will match the Jingle Bell Express theme?)
•   If not, can the locomotive I received be converted over to DCC? (What would be required?)
•   And/or, if I purchased a different DCC USRA 0-6-0 engine, would I be able to swap the engine housings (or shells) from one to the other?
A prompt response will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Dave D in Newport, NH

RAM

The 0-6-0 does come with DDC.  Now then i would think that the DC model should be DDC ready. 

jward

I have converted these 0-6-0s to dcc. There isn't a lot of room, so I removed the smoke unit and used that space to hold a Z scale decoder.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jonathan

If it were me, I would buy an 0-6-0 with DCC on board.  Then swap out the shells as you are contemplating.

The locomotive shells can be a challenge to remove, if you've never done it before.

If you decide to do the swap, post again and we can help you with getting the shells switched out.

Regards,

Jonathan

ACY

Quote from: DaveD on January 17, 2018, 08:38:18 AM
•   Is there a DCC version of this locomotive available? (One that will match the Jingle Bell Express theme?)
•   If not, can the locomotive I received be converted over to DCC? (What would be required?)
•   And/or, if I purchased a different DCC USRA 0-6-0 engine, would I be able to swap the engine housings (or shells) from one to the other?
1. Not in this specific livery, but as mentioned by others the 0-6-0 is available in other liveries with DCC. I have seen them for as little as $30-40
2. Yes it can be, but not the easisest task for someone who is inexperienced or a beginner as there is not much room to work with at all and you would need to hard wire in a decoder, the non-DCC models are not DCC-ready (They don't have an 8 or 9 pin socket).
3. My advice is to just swap the shells from a 0-6-0 that already has DCC, that is probably the best way for you to get what you are seeking.
Good luck