News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

couplers

Started by Dr Who 12, January 20, 2018, 08:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Who 12

Hi all
Has anyone tried installing Bachmann knuckle couplers on the body of their freight cars? I have been installing another brand's couplers on my RR cars and locos but I decided to try using the Bachmann couplers ( to save some bucks) that came with my cars and locos in a body mount vs. the usual truck mount installation.
Due to the winter weather out side I can't test the results so I was wondering if anyone has tried this?
The other brand coupler works very well so I have hope that the Bachmann couplers will preform as well.

Thanks in advance for a reply/ advice.
DrWho12

armorsmith

Dr.,

Although I have chosen to convert all my rolling stock to either Bachmann Spectrum couplers, Accucraft AMS couplers or Kadee 'G' scale couplers (these all play well togehter) you might look at the Bachmann coupler here http://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=66_69_75&products_id=569. Although they are currently out of stock, it may provide some idea how you might rework a standard Bachmann Big Hauler coupler. The Big Hauler couplers are not a bad coupler, but they do need some TLC. I have used them for a long time with good results after dis-assembling the coupler and cleaning all the flash off the small drop bar that locks the coupler closed. A good rub with some graphite type lock lubricant before re-assembly also goes a long way.

Although I have not directly answered your question, I hope I have provided some guidance.

Bob C.

Loco Bill Canelos

DW, my son body mounts his couplers. but uses only KD's . He has a couple of transition cars KD one end and Bachmann knuckles on the other end,  he has a transition cars KD on one end and USA Trains couplers on the other.  This is limiting, but gives him a way to run all his rolling stock until he adds KD's to all his cars.   He has a 22 car unit coal train using all USA Trains couplers and two are transition cars. 

We find that Bachmann standard line couplers work fine with KD and USA Trains couplers.  Aristo couplers don't seem to work well with the above couplers because of the tab on the underside which prevents coupling in most cases.  I have found that with a little filing on the tab will make them work with the above, but it is a lot of work.

I would suggest trying a standard Bachmann Knuckle coupler mounted to the floor and see what happens. Not sure the Bachmann will fit in a KD coupler box, but it might be worth a try 

If you try it please be sure to report how it works out here on the forum. 

Have fun!

Bill
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Dr Who 12

Hi Loco Bill.

I haven't tried installing a standard Bachmann coupler in a Kadee coupler gear box but I cut the existing tongue from the Bachmann truck. I also cut the tongue behind the vertical spring( coupler rod) and mount the complete coupler assembly between the rolling stock frame rails to the floor of the car. On most of the Bachmann cars the coupler fits between the frame rails good and on some occasions the coupler assembly  needs some shimming so that the height matches the 1-1/8'' that Kadee recommends from the top of the rail to the center of the coupler. They also recommend 1-1/6'' but this requires more shimming between the floor of the car and the coupler. I try to make all of my couplers the same height regardless of the brand and I found that Aristo Craft couplers don't work well with other brands I recon with some modification this could be fixed but I haven't explored doing that yet.

I didn't make any transition cars because all I have to do is remove the body mount coupler and truck and install a hook and loop truck or a knuckle coupler truck and the car is good to go. I have modified 14 rolling stock cars and 4 locos with body mount  Kadee's or the Bachmann knuckle couplers and the most work was fitting a Kadee on the tender of My Bachmann 2-6-0 Russian Iron mogul. The standing platform and the original pin coupler assembly was most of the problem.

Well that's my progress to date.

DrWho 12
\