News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Is It Really Trash?

Started by bbmiroku, January 24, 2018, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbmiroku

Ooh!  Good luck!  I hope you'll post pictures when you're done!
And estate/yard sales are great places to pick up model stuff for pennies on the dollar.
And don't forget about Flea Markets!  My local one has a couple of 'permanent' stalls near the back, and one of them happens to be a train booth.  Well, mostly trains (90%).  Some cars, ceramics, etc.  There's even an O/HO/N 4x8 in the middle of it, in three or four tiers.

Trainman203

This one is going along in bits and pieces.  I was able to get a couple of incorrectly applied moldings off of it the other night with minimal impact, and cleaned up some flashing the builder had left on.  I'll have to chisel off some small remaining pieces left behind, and clean some spilled glue off. 

The building is molded in very close to correct yellow with brown trim so I'll see if touch up here and there will be good enough.  Then, dullcote the building and put the window glass in.

I'm going to put a light inside and normally with an unbuilt kit you'd paint the inside of the walls black to keep the walls from glowing.  Since I can't disassemble the model, I'm going to cover the inside of the walls with black construction paper with window cut outs.  I'll put in a floor and some walls, add window shades to hide the unfinished interior, put a light inside, add a couple of lighted gooseneck exterior lights, and I'll have one fine Iron Mountain yard Office!

bbmiroku

Have you thought about spray painting the inside black?

Trainman203

Spraying the insides of the walls won't work on this small assembled building, which can't be disassembled.    The spray will meet the plastic interior at too low an angle for good coverage, and even with masking the exterior of the walls which is needed, overspray will get on the insides of the window casings.  It's just too messy to be practical.

Thats why I like these rescue dog structures.  The challenge of the rescue.  I've done about a dozen for a club already.