HOW TO REVERSE BACHMANN HO S-4 DIESEL DIRECTION SO I CAN RUN 2 BACK TO BACK?

Started by lionelflyerdave, January 25, 2018, 06:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lionelflyerdave

??? I just purchased 2 Bachmann HO sound and DCC S-4 Diesel locos, and I want to turn the back unit around so i can run them back to back, but I cant figure out how to do it with my NCE Powercab. There must be an easy way to do this, besides having to swap motor wires or hassle with a consist? I am mostly a Postwar Lionel and American Flyer operator, I just have HO I run occasionally, I am not up on all the fancy DCC stuff and changing CV s and all that. Thanks for your assistance, it is appreciated! ???

Flare

There is a CV you can change for 'Normal direction of travel'.

You also need to adjust the speed and acceleration rates so both locomotives operate identically in their respective directions.

From there, you just set the two decoders to the same address so they operate in unison.

The 'easy' way to do the programming (in my opinion) is to use the USB adapter made by NCE to connect your layout/programming track to your computer and use the DecoderPro program to change the CVs.  It's pretty much point and click, with the different decoder functions broken down into categories.

http://jmri.org/help/en/html/apps/DecoderPro/Tour.shtml

https://www.ncedcc.com/online-store/USB-Interface-for-Power-Cab-p38322160

keystonefarm

With both engines on the track  on you power cab go to the consist section near the bottom of the handset. Hit setup Hit enter for advanced consisting, The  hit enter again for consist number . The handset will automatically find the next open consist number. Then enter the lead loco number then the direction . Then the trailing loco number then the direction which will be reverse . Then hit enter and that's it. When you want to break up the consist hit clear  Then enter the lead loco number and press enter . Now they are back to their original address's. Once you have used it NCE is very user friendly. ----- Ken

lionelflyerdave

Thanks very much for the help. It is appreciated. I have never used the 'consist' feature before, when you said to enter the loco number, you mean the dcc id for the loco, right?  I always just use the factory default of 3 on my locos, so will this work with consist function as you have described? ???