Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Online Train Retails

Started by HOLondon, February 17, 2007, 07:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig

Cherry Creek Hobbies has good prices and service. http://www.cchobbies.com/

jschmid

Please Support your local hobby shop  :)

Gene P.

I echo the Trainland/World posts. Trainland has some great "on-the-counter" specials as well. I do my best to get over there at least twice a month(I'm about 2 and a half hours away) just to check out the counter items.
On the internet I've had great experiences with www.wholesaletrains.com. My only advice with them is to call and check stock on the item you want to buy as they don't update quantities as often as they should. Walther's is also good, but be prepared to pay full retail(unless your item of choice is on sale). Happy hunting!!
Twin Forks R.R.

GS_Train

I've had very good and very bad luck with wholesaletrains.com.  The shipping cost to Canada on my last order was astronomical!  I was quoted around $20.00 when I ordered, but when the items arrived they had charged me $69.88 for DHL Ground :o. I could have paid full retail at Walthers with their shipping charge and still paid less!
Live and learn I guess.

topsir2

NHShobbies.com have the best prices on Atlas track and switches. They are located in New York.

kenp

I will have to both agree and disagree with almost everyone.

I do buy at LhS when it makes sense, but alas price is an issue for us all. It's a hard decision not to buy locally, because it's that very business that will keep that local shop in business for youre needs. If your local shop gives a moderate discount of of MSRP, then it probably is a good idea to buy from them. If they never discount anything, like "The Original Whistle Stop", I probably will look elseware.

As for E-shops, I have had nothing but very poor service with Trainworld and MB Kline. (Model Train Stuff.com). Items ordered and never delivered, never told they were on back order etc. On the other hand, Standard Hobby, Tony's, Litchfield Station are very professional. Wholesaletrains.com ranks close in service, and almost always the best price.

I guess it's all how one sees it!

Atlantic Central

kenp,

It is interesting that in the nine months since this thread started, some things relating to comments made earlier have changed.

M B Klein (ModelTrainStuff) has moved both their retail and mailorder operation much to the detriment of the service they provide. Their new retail store does not have fast simple customer friendly access to their complete inventory, but rather walk in customers are expected to "order" online at a computer terminal............and wait.......and wait. Not the great store it once was.

As for Trainworld I still continue to get great service from them, placed an order Tuesday, it came today - two days later. Great prices, fast shipping - what more could one want? What kind of problems have you had?

I will say this, personally, I don't backorder or preorder ANYTHING from ANYONE so I cannot comment on how well they handle those services. With Trainworld I call the regular number and have them check stock as I order - only ordering things in stock.

And I have also had great service from Standard Hobby Supply but am less than impressed with their new web site. Another good experiance has been www.firsthobby.com.

Sheldon

Conrail Quality

Interesting comments about MB Klein. A few weeks ago I ordered my Bachmann E60 from them, got it in a few days...no problelms whatsoever.
Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

Atlantic Central

Conrail,

I would imagine that by web/mail things are no different at M B Klein, but after nearly forty years of "supporting my local hobby shop", they apparently don't want my money anymore. Items not on display in the small retail space of the store can only be purchased as I discribed above and must be paid for with a credit card. Cash is no good any more? I think more of my hobby dollars will go elsewere from now on.

Sheldon

kevin2083

At least you have a lhs. All the shops around here last for about 3-4 months before going out of business, or they're almost never open. There's a R/C hoby shop that carries only the cheapest train garbage, where the employees know nothing about trains, but that's about it, unless I fell like driving 2 hours to Birmingham.

My favorite online stores are MB klein, standard hobby, and trainworld. I go to micro mark for B-man stuff. Sometimes I'll check Ebay, but not very often.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

twsone

Hello to all!  If you guys want to buy Bachmann E-Z track and accessories at 50% off on line go to : www.ridgeroadstation.com.  They have great prices on many train items.  As far as M B Klein in MD, they are highly recommended by me based on numerous purchases recently. Anybody who wants to pay 30% more at their local hobby shop be my guest!  I have some other suggestions if your interested.