News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Mogul backdate saga continues

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

I received my new D&RGW Mogul today. It looks pretty good but I had my first incident with it. I set it down on the track and the curved plastic piece attached to the slider came off. I was finally able to super glue it back on but that was really really hard to do. Trying to lay the loco in a position on a sponge "cradle" and get it so I could put the piece on but not break anything on the side it was laying on.
I got the fluted domes from San Juan Car Co., too. It's cool that they are pieces. The steam dome is 3 pieces and the sand dome is 4 pieces. Before I assembled them, I put split shot in each level and poured white glue in to hold them in place. Then, I super glued them together. I  labeled the shot case 1 to 5 with 5 being the largest shot. I was able to 3 #4's in the bottom of the steam dome and 2 # 5's in the top part. On the sand dome, I got 4 #5's in the bottom and 2 #5's in the top. That will help a little with the weight.
I'll wait until I get all the pieces before I start on the locos. I have the new boiler coming from Bachmann for the old one. I have the stacks and headlights coming from PSC.
The domes

Gluing in the weights.

The old domes and the new domes

I did a test fit on the old boiler with the new domes.

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

I used these on a few BLI C16's and they are very nice.
They are leftovers from the C16 kit the previous owner of SJ sold before he passed away.
The air pumps are also highly recommended.
Very nice detail.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I was very pleased with them. When ordering on line and only seeing a picture, I sometimes never know just what it be will like. Maybe I'll check on the air pumps, too.
I'm also going to look at what cabs are out there.
Everything won't be historically accurate but the only people who will see it on the layout are friends and family and they don't know the difference. As long as it resembles on old wood burner, I'm ok with it.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Terry Toenges

Ton - That's one of those I've seen. From the pic, it looks like no doors. I wish they had pic from the back. If I have to put weight in the cab it would be visible unless I can camouflage it somehow. I wish they made a peaked roof cab.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

By the looks of it is open at the back.
You could do some kit bashing and make the rounded roof into a peaked roof.
There is enough leftover wood to aid in that.
I don't think you would need extra weight because the original cab is lightweight plastic anyway.
For myself i have a cutting plotter so i can make a cab myself from styreen.
I did it for the ten wheeler and it looks pretty good.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I saw a couple of Moguls with peaked roofs on Harold Minky's site. It looks like his site is down now. Mark Reed and Don Mason were the names of the two guys who had them but I can't find them on the internet to ask them. The guy at Valley Model Trains has a pic of Don's Mogul on his Facebook page. I sent him a message and asked if he knew how to contact Don. This a pic of Don's. I just found Don on Facebook and sent him a message.

The Banta cab doesn't seem a whole lot different than the stock cab as far as the roof. If all other avenues fail, that's a possibility.
I thought there were more cabs out there but I guess not.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Bill Banta is one and Mount Blue models is the other one.
But MBM only has a cab for the Forney and the classic 4-4-0.
But if the Banta one is the only one available you will have to modify it.

Ton

jkemp

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 31, 2018, 10:38:33 AM
I saw a couple of Moguls with peaked roofs on Harold Minky's site. It looks like his site is down now.

Hello Terry,

Can you share the link you have for Harold Minky's site?

Frequently, many sites are archived and available at the Wayback Machine.

URL

http://www.archive.org/

Terry Toenges

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/
The Wayback Machine says this site has been excluded.
That is really a shame. I was accessing Harold's site up until a couple of say ago.
Feel like a Mogul.

jkemp

Quote from: Terry Toenges on January 31, 2018, 12:20:34 PM
http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/
The Wayback Machine says this site has been excluded.
That is really a shame. I was accessing Harold's site up until a couple of say ago.

I agree.

Some times sites will configure their 'robots.txt' file too restrictively, effectively blocking the Wayback Machine also, in addition to search engines.

Fingers crossed that the site owner will fix/restore his site.

hminky

Took the site down because most of the info is old and obsolete and was long over due to be terminated.

90% of the Bachmann products are gone and On30 seems to be a dead issue.

Most of the traffic on the site is the weathering plastic and wood. That traffic is mostly non-railroad.

All my best techniques were published in RMC.

Always wondered why I bothered. Most people complained the techniques were too hard or didn't follow the directions and bad mouthed the article.

Or someone plagiarized me and their minions said they were a genius with the new technique the person developed.

Excluded it from the Wayback machine back in 2010 when I took the site off the web the first time.

No one was visiting the site from the train world anymore.

Harold

Terry Toenges

Thanks for responding. I enjoyed going to your site. I visited it quite a few times over the years. It's a shame people didn't appreciate your time and effort at doing things on there. I did.
Here lately I was looking at the Mogul pics you had up since I'm trying to back date mine.
Do you know where I can get a peaked cab for my On30 Mogul?
I asked Bill Banta if his peaked roof 2-8-0 cab would work on my Mogul and he just said that it might fit and I'd probably have to adjust it a bit. If I can't find the one, I guess I'll have to spend the money and hope that it will work.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Terry a 2-8-0 cab will be to big for your Mogul.
I have several of those cabs so i can compare.
The best option is what i wrote before.
Go for the rounded roof version and convert it to peaked.

Ton

Terry Toenges

Thanks Ton. You saved me from buying one to try it out. It looks like modifying time.
I wonder if the Banta one would be easy to modify.
He only has the one pic on his site.

I guess it would be find the center of the roof arch and cut the front and back flat on each side of the peak.
Cutting a couple of flat rectangles out of wood for the roof would be easy.
Feel like a Mogul.