News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Mogul backdate saga continues

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

Just a couple of little tweaks yet but for the most part it's done.
I did a test run earlier and it pulled my 4 passenger cars up the 4% grade at about 1/3 throttle with just a wee bit of slippage. That was with no extra weight in the cab. I put 3 split shot on each side of the boiler inside so I think that will take care of any slippage I had. I'll see tomorrow after the glue dries on the shot in the cab. I think I'll be in good shape. I might add another freight car or two to the others to see just what the limit is now. Adding more will have the back of it coming down the hill while the front is going up.
The back dated one on the left and the second one (and what it looked before I started) on the right.

Feel like a Mogul.

Fred Klein

Nice job, Terry. Looking forward to seeing it on your next Christmas train video. I'm in the process of researching/upgrading a DC-only, that I bought when I thought I was only going to run one engine on our Christmas village/train layout (ha!), to DCC. I now have a Bachmann 4-4-0 and a 0-4-2 Porter both DCC. My wife likes to be able to control the Christmas train via WiFi from her tablet, so I ended up converting the layout to DCC. Now she loves it. You know what they say: "Happy Wife, Happy Life"! Again, your back-dated engine looks great. Thanks for taking us through the conversion process. I always learn something new.
Fred Klein
Okeechobee, FL

Terry Toenges

Thanks Fred. I was kind of slow coming around to DCC, too, but now I like it. Now that I have this one done, I'll take a break before I start on the second one. I have to work on Dinosaurland for my great grand daughter. I had put that on hold while I worked on this.
I took some more pics.

Feel like a Mogul.

hminky

Terry Toenges

Thank you Harold. I very much appreciate that.
I had a lot frustrating moments throughout this whole project but I'm very pleased with my efforts. 
I see that I forgot to put the whistle on.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

My first test run of the Mogul pulling the four passenger cars up the grade. :) I didn't have to put any external weights on the pilot. It's all in the stack, domes, and cab and the light is brass so that helps.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn5uE7DaRHE
Feel like a Mogul.

p51

Terry, you did a great job with this.
It's a great balance between the original locomotive and the correct details for the late 19th century. It'd look perfect for a layout between the 1880s and WW1.
-Lee

Terry Toenges

Thanks. I added some freight cars and caboose to the four passenger cars last night to see what it would do. With three freight and caboose and two freight and caboose it spun a lot. With one box car and caboose added on to the passengers it did ok. I'll probably never run that many cars but now I know my limits.
I'm still not set on a time period. I plan on a point to point with reverse loops on both ends and going up to the top of a hill by three 180 turns with a lot of trestle and some solid ground. I planning on having a waterfall on top back in the corner so I'm thinking about a tourist railroad with the train taking them up to see that.
Feel like a Mogul.