News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Mogul backdate saga continues

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terry Toenges

The air pumps weren't hard. Once I opened the package and looked at the parts trees, it was mostly common sense. They do look a lot better than the stock ones.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Terry Toenges

Old and new Moguls - both DCC with sound. My old Mogul had no electrical connection to the tender. My new Mogul has a plug to connect from the tender to the loco. 
I know the sound is all in the tender and the tender wipers are for the sound. I can sit the tender alone on the track and get the sound. Is it for additional electrical pick up for loco from the tender wipers?
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

That's something I've been wondering about the new 2-6-0s.

Do they run without the tender connected?

Terry Toenges

I just tried it. There is no power at all to the loco without the tender connected. Not even lights.
Feel like a Mogul.

Flare

So much for the 'easy' tank conversion I wanted to do.

Thanks Terry.

dutchbuilder

Quote from: Terry Toenges on February 07, 2018, 01:42:07 PM
I just tried it. There is no power at all to the loco without the tender connected. Not even lights.

I think you will have to do some cross wiring on the locomotive side.
The wiring in the locomotive go through the connectors to the tender and there they are spliced into the decoder via the motherboard.
No wonder that when you try to use the locomotive as a stand-alone nothing happens.

Ton 

p51

Apparently like all of Bachmann's steam engines, all the wiring (and thankfully, some extra length of electrical pickup) goes through the tender. A pain, yes, if you're wanting to ditch the tender for a conversion (would you even have room for sound in such a case?), but I've noticed that the overall length of the pickup really helps for dead spots of dirty track. My ten-wheelers never flicker or sputter in sound when I'm going around my layout. The only time there's a gap in lights or sound is when they break the 180-degree arc on my turntable, which I can live with. Heck, I don't even need to wire the frogs on the turnouts, for the length of pickup you get with one of those.
-Lee

Flare

Quote from: p51 on February 07, 2018, 05:11:25 PM
If you're wanting to ditch the tender for a conversion, would you even have room for sound in such a case?)

I'm guessing I'll be able to squeeze a speaker into the cab.

I remember having plenty of clearance in the smokebox for a Digitrax DZ126T decoder, maybe a TSU-1100 will fit too.

Terry Toenges

I wanted to paint my new domes and pumps. I wanted to figure out a way to hold them still while I did without laying them down on something. I drilled small holes in the bottom of them. I put a dab of white glue in the holes and stuck tooth picks in them. I turned them upside down and then let them dry overnight. Today, I just stuck the tooth picks in styrofoam and was able paint the stuff with no problem. When I'm done with them, I'll just clip off the tooth picks underneath.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I just had a set back today. I had ordered two 1330.1 peaked roof cabs from PSC which is their Cab C (Intermediate) based on a C-16 and I received the package today.
The bags are labeled 1330-1 but the parts inside are for the 0-6-0T (#1648). Plus, there a piece of metal for the roof in there but the 0-6-0T doesn't come with a roof so they got it all screwed up.
I emailed them and sent pics of what I received and told them that their bags are mislabeled. Now, I guess I'll have to deal with making a trip to the post office and sending the others back. What a pain. :(
I did get my gram scale in the mail today so I weighed the different sizes of split shot that I'm using. I had to average it out because they don't weigh the same. I weighed 10 of each size and figured the average weight for each size.
I had bought some 5 gram rectangular weights also, to use on the new one if needed. Even those didn't all weigh the same. They averaged out to  4.8 grams. I had 7 gram weights on the old Mogul and they averaged out to 7.34 grams.
On the new stuff, I was able to add a total of 7.23 grams in the domes combined and 10.62 grams in the stack.
I had added a total of about 51 grams in the old one to get me to where it would pull 3 passenger cars up the 4% grade without spinning. The domes and stack gave me 17.85 grams so I'll still need about 33 grams. If I put a couple 5's on the pilot deck, then 6 of the biggest shot in the cab would get me pretty close.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I heard back from Precision Scale today. Mark from there wanted me to call him so he could explain. All I can say is be very careful when you order from them. I told him what they sent didn't look anything like the picture.
He said you can't go by the pictures because the pictures are over 30 years old. I'm like all I have to go by are the pictures. He said I can just do some cutting on this one and modify to what I want. I couldn't really understand why I couldn't get one like in the picture. I don't know if they quit making them or what. I never got  good explanation as to why what was in the #1330-1 cab package looked exactly like their #1648 cab.
----------------------------
Below is the 1330-1 that I wanted

Below is the 1648 for an 0-6-0T

Below is the 1330-1 package they sent me. It looks like the 1648 cab. He said that the package is not mislabeled, the pictures are old. Very frustrated here. I'm glad these are the last things I had to order from PSC.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

It's a stupid reply from the PSC guy as in "I don't give a sh......"
How can you order a part if you don't know what it looks like.
The parts you received can be modified to look like the ones you wanted by cutting of the door section.
Then it looks like the picture of the 1330-1 part.

Ton

Flare

Neither of those images look like a proper product example to me.

In the 80's maybe it was passable, but these days I want a high quality, color photograph like the one you posted.

Not a grainy black & white image, nor a drawing.

Terry Toenges

I did some surgery on one of the cabs they sent me and I guess it will work.
The roof was just a flat piece of metal that I had to bend.  The piece of metal wasn't cut even so it was hard to mark it to bend. It was visibly off. I measured the sides. In the pic where the pieces are laid out, there is a dimple on the bottom edge on the metal. I started there and went clockwise. The measurements were (in millimeters): 64.17  59.67  66.24  60.47.
I couldn't get a sharp bend in it so I'll probably get a piece of plastic or balsa wood and make the roof in two pieces instead of the bent metal.
It's a little wider than the old cab so I have gaps on the side on the inside that I'll have to cover. With the pieces I cut off, I should be able to use them as doors on the back of the cab. It occurs to me that maybe they were meant to be cut off and use as the doors.  I don't know.
I'm still test fitting everything on the old boiler before I tamper with the new loco and the new shell I got.
I bought a box of long wooden matches to cut up for my wood load. I have to figure out how long to cut them.

Feel like a Mogul.