News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

My Mogul backdate saga continues

Started by Terry Toenges, January 30, 2018, 12:07:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksivils

Looks perfectly fine to me, especially considering the cab you purchased wasn't made to fit the model you're using it on. You've done a nice job modifying it to fit so far.

Your locomotive has taken on a very different appearance from the original. Looks good.

Terry Toenges

Thank you. I'm quite pleased with the way it is looking. I've never attempted a loco back date like this.
I had to cut some off the front wall of the cab, down at the bottom so the cab would slip down over the boiler. I had to bend up a little the piping and valves that butt up again the cab on the outside. It wasn't by much so it's not really noticeable. They were keeping back of the cab sticking out.
Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

As an experienced re modeller myself you are doing great Terry, compliments.

Ton

Terry Toenges

Thanks Ton. With these latest pics, I really have the look I was trying to achieve. That makes me happy.
I went out and got some balsa wood today for the cab roof and some strip wood to use on the bottom inside to fill in the gaps.
Feel like a Mogul.

Terry Toenges

I put the back doors on the cab and some balsa wood around the base on the inside to close the gaps.

I made a balsa wood roof. I even got a little creative and put some wood trim around it. I won't glue it yet because it will be eaiser to paint the inside without the roof on. I thought ahead on this one and cut two sets of all the wood pieces. I put one set in a bag for now. When I go to do the second cab, I'll already have the wood cut.

Feel like a Mogul.

dutchbuilder

Isn't there supposed to be a vent hatch on top of the roof or is that to modern?

Ton

Terry Toenges

I've looked at a lot of pics and I've only seen 1 or 2 peaked roofs with a hatch. Most of them don't have them. I haven't seen hatches on any of the model ones like Bachmann's or Atlas. I have seen some curved cabs without them.
One problem with looking at pics is that overhead shots are hard to find, especially from long ago of the real ones. Old photos were usually taken by someone on the ground and the top to roof isn't usually visible.
What I'm really trying to say is that trying to put a hatch on my peaked roof is above my pay grade. ;D
Feel like a Mogul.

ksivils

Would the wood trim retain water on the roof? Just wondering. It all looks really good. Will be a nice piece when you are finished.

Have you thought about the paint scheme yet? Basic black or something colorful?

Terry Toenges

I'm going to use semi flat black on the things I'm adding. I have the new one that I just bought and the new shell that I ordered from Bachmann to put on the old frame. The boilers are green with a dark gray front. I'm not going to try to change that.
I've seen some other locos with the trim. That's why I did it. I considered the water aspect, too. I guess I could cut slots at the corners. Bachmann's old time 4-4-0's have the ridge on them. So did Rivarossi's.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Looking at some old line drawings I have, the roof 'trim' varied all over the place. Some locos didn't have any roof trim. Some just had it on the side edges, creating sort of a gutter for water. Some just had a board on the rear edge, keeping water from flying all over the fireman I guess. Some had it all the way around, like your doing. The all around style appears to have a 1", maybe 1-1/2" channel mitered into the rear corners to let water escape.

Unfortunately the drawings are very faded blue lines on bluish paper, and they don't scan worth a dang.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

Terry Toenges

I thought that maybe it was to help brace or strengthen the roof.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Quote from: Terry Toenges on February 14, 2018, 03:00:08 PM
I thought that maybe it was to help brace or strengthen the roof.

That could be too. The drawings I have don't say why the boards are there, they just show them.

Len

dutchbuilder

Bracing the roof is done inside.
What Len says, they are there simply to divert water from the roof.

Ton

Terry Toenges

I would think there would be slots at the corners or something to let the water out. There aren't any Bachmann's locos. Seems like Bachmann would do it correctly since they put them on there.
I saw some on line with just ridges along the sides. I could understand those being used to channel water. I'm just trying to figure out about the ones go around the whole perimeter with no openings.
Feel like a Mogul.

Len

Maybe whoever did the tooling didn't think a scale 1" gap at the rear corners would be noticed.

Len