Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Rumor has it there's a new 2-6-0?

Started by ksivils, January 30, 2018, 11:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USAF_Andy

Quote from: p51 on February 28, 2018, 06:25:05 PM
Quote from: USAF_Andy on February 25, 2018, 08:59:30 AM
[He said the market wouldn't support it.  I disagree...
I don't. A WP&Y diesel is a very specific piece of rolling stock, and very large (in a On30 market where many want stuff as short as possible).
Hey, I've ridden the WP&Y twice and would love to have a On30 version of one of their locomotives (though it'd never fit in the theme of my WW2-era ET&WNC layout), but I agree with the Bachmann person who told you it wouldn't sell.
"Hey, wouldn't it be cool if they made..." usually translates to, "I want one, so shouldn't a bunch of other people?"
No, there are so many other things that'd sell better than a WP&Y diesel would in On30 (or any other scale, for that matter).

I use as an example of the LGB version...  They have sold bajillions of them in a bunch of different variants.  Bachmann could make sets to sell them at the gift shop to all those cruise passengers...  As for one paint scheme road using them, I reply with "So?".  Far be it from Bachmann to slap a non prototype paint scheme onto one of these.  Plausible, Durango and Silverton, Cumbres and Toltec, SP and D&RGW.  A little far fetched, EBT or Tweetsie.  If it was designed with a fairly easy conversion to On3 possible, I think it could really do well.  I know it won't happen, I am fine with that.  I just think that it could really rock the market.  They have made some really random stuff over the years.

p51

Quote from: USAF_Andy on March 18, 2018, 10:34:00 PM
I use as an example of the LGB version...  They have sold bajillions of them in a bunch of different variants.  Bachmann could make sets to sell them at the gift shop to all those cruise passengers...  As for one paint scheme road using them, I reply with "So?".  Far be it from Bachmann to slap a non prototype paint scheme onto one of these.  Plausible, Durango and Silverton, Cumbres and Toltec, SP and D&RGW.  A little far fetched, EBT or Tweetsie.  If it was designed with a fairly easy conversion to On3 possible, I think it could really do well.  I know it won't happen, I am fine with that.  I just think that it could really rock the market.  They have made some really random stuff over the years.
Two issues with that:
1. LGB sells a bajillion of just about everything, world-wide. Bachmann's On30 has nowhere near that kind of customer base.
2. WP&Y doesn't sell everything offered to them. I've talked some vendors of RR stuff that thought they'd market their stuff through the Skagway gift shop, and even got tooling underway, then got a big, "Nah, we're not interested," in response. It happens more than you'd think for items that people like us would assume would sell.
-Lee

Terry Toenges

I would guess that some people doing On30 have no interest in diesels at all. I don't have anything to back that up. I'm just guessing. Maybe p51's statement could work the other way, too - "If I don't want one, a bunch of other people probably don't want one either."
Feel like a Mogul.