Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Titanic5972

Daisy would be the best addition this year I think. Or Boco but as he's not in the CGI series yet I can't see him happening.

sean1994rail

My 2019 suggestions.

HO

Engines

Sidney
Reintroduced Salty
Stanley
Hiro
Charlie
Stepney
Daisy

Rolling Stock
Rocky
Redesigned Henrietta (with face)
Hopper Wagon
Troublesome Truck #6
Explosives Van
Flatbed

Vehicles
Trevor
Kevin
Merrick
Owen

Buildings
Sodor Steamworks
Sodor Airport
Motorized Watermill

OO9

Engines
Sir Handel
Peter Sam
Victor
Luke

Rolling Stock
NG Brakevans
NG Blue Mountain Quarry Wagons

Streak

Quote from: sean1994rail on December 12, 2018, 05:04:49 PM
My 2019 suggestions.

HO

Engines

Sidney
Reintroduced Salty
Stanley
Hiro
Charlie
Stepney
Daisy

Rolling Stock
Rocky
Redesigned Henrietta (with face)
Hopper Wagon
Troublesome Truck #6
Explosives Van
Flatbed

Vehicles
Trevor
Kevin
Merrick
Owen

Buildings
Sodor Steamworks
Sodor Airport
Motorized Watermill

OO9

Engines
Sir Handel
Peter Sam
Victor
Luke

Rolling Stock
NG Brakevans
NG Blue Mountain Quarry Wagons

Some good suggestions here. Would really like a Reintroduced Salty and especially Stanley. Redesigned Henrietta (with face) would be great too. I hope they'd make Hannah as well. One thing though, I don't think Merrick and Owen would be listed under vehicles if they did get in. Maybe Merrick but definitely not Owen. He'd be a Building. You can see some of my suggestions/predictions earlier in this thread if you want.

Chaz

The price for Salty has finally gone up on eBay as of late, but nothing drastic compared to the express coaches or flat car with paint drums.  I'm sure if the price continues from there and if he became a lot harder to find, I think Salty can eventually find his way back into the range. 
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

Streak

If Salty was to eventually reintroduced, would he be remodeled to look like his CGI design. I know I'm one to be pro-CGI but I actually wouldn't want that. Most of Salty's CG promos leave off his buffer weathering for some reason and at that rate they wouldn't add his headlamp he gained from S18 onwards. For now, I'd honestly just rather them rerelease the same Salty from before, not remodel him in his CGI design. If I wanted to, I could do that myself.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: sean1994rail on December 12, 2018, 05:04:49 PM
HO

Engines

Sidney
Reintroduced Salty
Stanley
Hiro
Charlie
Stepney
Daisy

Quote from: Chaz on December 13, 2018, 12:14:57 AM
The price for Salty has finally gone up on eBay as of late, but nothing drastic compared to the express coaches or flat car with paint drums.  I'm sure if the price continues from there and if he became a lot harder to find, I think Salty can eventually find his way back into the range.  

It's actually quite surprising when you look at Salty's timeline from when he was announced by Bachmann right up to his cancelation.  Truth be told, Salty probably did better than Arry/Bert, but came no where close to Mavis in terms of sales. However, seeing as in quite a few cases Salty is going for well over $100 even for a used model, it leaves me a little confused.  What I can't understand is why Salty's sales were almost as bad as Coca-Cola on their first year, yet since his cancelation Salty and his set have commanded prices as if they were Hayley Williams' autograph.  The question is, where was all this demand for Salty back when he was still available?

Interestingly enough, my hobby shop still has the Salty set in stock, but the owner is a cheapskate and likes to get every penny he can, so the set has been overpriced for some time now.  However, after seeing prices on eBay, it really has me looking at the price my hobby shop wants, and at that rate it now seems like a good deal, but that's after it sat there for over 5 years.  Might be tempted to pick that up now...  I guess the question to be asked at this point is how well would Salty do if he was brought back, and would it really be worth while for Bachmann to do so or would history just repeat itself?  

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Streak

I guess people didn't purchase Salty as much cause they thought he'd stick around? Maybe? He is a consistently used character in the series since his inception. So when Salty was discontinued, it caught everyone off guard and they rushed to get him and/or his set before it could go up in price. That's my theory anyways. I don't have Bachmann Salty yet so if his prices on EBay and elsewhere are rising, I definitely want Bachmann to rerelease him.

Honestly, I think Salty deserves to be in the line more than Arry and Bert. While those two were prevalent in the classic series and the new series, they became so underused and worthless once the CGI series hit. Rosie at least has become more prominent in the past two seasons, Arry and Bert haven't had jack. I'd be fine with Bachmann discontinuing Arry and Bert and bringing back Salty, I would just need to get my hands on them before they do.

Also if Salty was brought back, that could lead them to release a Bachmann HO Porter, which would be really cool. There's no way they'd put Porter in without Salty.

DrNickRiviera995

I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm mainly into the Narrow Gauge now as I've really fallen in love with the characters and stories, plus being small, I think I could more easily do a nice layout with them.  That being said, really hoping for the rest of the main engines from Series 4 in this order:

Sir Handel (if possible, switchable name plates for Sir Handel/Falcon)
Peter Sam (swappable nameplates too)
Duncan
Duke

Rolling stock, I'd like:

Brake vans in various colors

Any other rolling stock or accessories would be wonderful, but really hoping they can pick up on getting the original engines done.

And I'll throw in for HO too, I know everyone says every year it can't be done, but Diesel 10 would be great.

Angelob6660

Quote from: DrNickRiviera995 on December 24, 2018, 09:54:17 AM
I haven't been on here in a while, but I'm mainly into the Narrow Gauge now as I've really fallen in love with the characters and stories, plus being small, I think I could more easily do a nice layout with them.  That being said, really hoping for the rest of the main engines from Series 4 in this order:

Sir Handel (if possible, switchable name plates for Sir Handel/Falcon)
Peter Sam (swappable nameplates too)
Duncan

Peter Sam would need his normal funnel before the episode of Trucks.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Chaz

If Bachmann pulled off slate wagons with different road numbers from Talyllyn and even made something as obscure for older fans like the spiteful brake van, I honestly would not put it past Bachmann to announce Stuart and Falcon alongside Peter Sam and Sir Handel respectively.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Chaz on December 27, 2018, 10:28:21 PM
If Bachmann pulled off slate wagons with different road numbers from Talyllyn and even made something as obscure for older fans like the spiteful brake van, I honestly would not put it past Bachmann to announce Stuart and Falcon alongside Peter Sam and Sir Handel respectively.
You know what else? That's actually kind of a super smart business move on their part of they did that. It would likely approximately double the sales of those models!

Streak

A Stuart version of Peter Sam would definitely be worth buying as it would (hopefully) have the old funnel instead of Peter Sam's current Geisel funnel.

Quote from: angelob6660 on December 27, 2018, 08:18:46 PM

Yeah, like you said.

DrNickRiviera995

Quote from: Streak on December 28, 2018, 01:46:46 AM

A Stuart version of Peter Sam would definitely be worth buying as it would (hopefully) have the old funnel instead of Peter Sam's current Giesel funnel.

Quote from: angelob6660 on December 27, 2018, 08:18:46 PM

Yeah, like you said.

All neat ideas.  I don't know necessarily if they'd have double the sales though.  Maybe depending on what you wanted to model you could choose one or the other.  Couldn't see having Stuart and Falcon though unless they released Duke though.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Chaz on December 27, 2018, 10:28:21 PM

The only thing that has me questioning this idea goes back to a previous topic we discussed before.  Would Peter Sam and Sir Handel as Stuart and Falcon actually be a worthwhile addition to the range, or would this be going down the same road as the old shape Henry topic?  I say this because when people were asking about getting Henry in his old shape, it was shot down with reason's being the short amount of time Henry had his old shape and how minor the changes would be.  Other than a change of nameplates (and in the case of Peter Sam his funnel), the differences would be minor, which to some may not justify going out and buying another of (to some) the exact same model.  I know a few people stated that when Grumpy Diesel was released, they didn't see any reason in going out and buying an entirely new model, just for the luxury of having a somewhat better face.

I kind of feel like Stuart and Falcon kind of face the same predicament when it comes to being announced.  In the end I kind of feel like Bachmann themselves would look at it from the standpoint of if people want a Start and/or Falcon, they could easily just swap out a funnel and make new nameplates themselves.  I don't know, that's just my thoughts on the subject and maybe someone else can shed some light on that theory as well.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Chaz

That's actually a good point, since in some cases it wouldn't be that much more different than the "old shape Henry" debate brought up.  Yes they would just have different nameplates and require a different funnel for Stuart, but it wouldn't change the fact that the appeal behind them would be a lot more limited.  The only way Stuart and Falcon would work is if they were announced alongside Peter Sam and Sir Handel, otherwise we would be looking at another "Grumpy Diesel" which should be avoided at this point.  The lack of no Duke model and the unlikeliness of that happening wouldn't help much either (unless you're me or Grandpuff ;)).

Very few merchandise lines have made separate models for Stuart and Falcon, only Nakayoshi for Stuart and Ertl for Falcon.

Probably won't help much, especially since they would only be a cherry on top for some people, but obviously not the bigger picture, which again comes down to just models of Sir Handel and Peter Sam alone.  As you said the conversion would be simple enough that the bigger picture at that point would be, why bother?