Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

I don't want to keep my expectations too high, since I want to avoid disappointment, like what happened last year. The budget for new toolings hasn't been very good lately, so we'll most likely get nothing but mediocre recolors for HO Scale. If we get an engine recolor, it will most likely be either Red Rosie, or Sidney. I know a lot of people wouldn't be happy with Sidney getting announced this year, since that would mean getting a Class 08 three years in a row, but personally, if Sidney does get announced, I would be accepting of it. Paxton's face had to be modified slightly in order to fit on Diesel's eye mechanism. Otherwise, they would've had to severely change the internals of the model. They will certainly do the same for Sidney. Since he has a rounded face, his face will also have a painted border around it.

Sidney should definitely be the last Class 08 we'd get for HO Scale. No chance they would make Splatter and Dodge, due to being one-off characters from a movie that wasn't even good. As for the mainland diesels, they don't even have names (except for Ulli) or actual personalities.

Getting a new tooling in HO Scale, like Stepney or Daisy, would be a blessing, but to avoid disappointment, I shouldn't get my hopes up for them.

As for HO Rolling Stock, I'd be okay as long as we get the Explosives Van, and/or Troublesome Truck #6 being a ventilated van, tanker, or even a mail car.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

douglas

Quote from: TrainFan97 on January 26, 2019, 03:45:11 PMNo chance they would make Splatter and Dodge, due to being one-off characters from a movie that most Thomas fans that the range is aimed at haven't even heard of, let alone watched.

fixed
it's been 18 1/2 years since Magic Railroad debuted in theaters. that's older than most younger T&F modellers, and definitely older than >98% of active Thomas fans. it was so poorly received even among the fanbase that many have just memory-holed it. this is a useless factoid but I just wanted to emphasize how terrible and irrelevant T&tMRR is.

Chaz

Quote from: douglas on November 28, 1974, 04:13:53 AM
it's been 18 1/2 years since Magic Railroad debuted in theaters.

I feel old just hearing that. (Same with Hero of the Rails turning 10 this year...:P)

But yeah I think Splatter, Dodge and even the mainland diesels are irrelevant and not even worth mentioning at this point.  Bachmann's used the Diesel tooling quite enough, and after how Paxton turned out part of me feels like Sidney would look even worse than Paxton if they stick with the same eye mechanism method from earlier.
Modeler of HO/OO, OO9 and N scale.  Hoping for N scale Henry, Edward and Duck.

TrainFan97

That's the first time I've noticed someone change my words.

But yeah, it's possible that Sidney might look even worse. The mainland diesels have no promotion or marketing going their way, and absolutely no merchandise of them whatsoever, so it's safe to rule them out. The announcements for HO might be as underwhelming as ever, but I'm still curious to see just how good or bad the products will be. Just three more weeks.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

douglas

Quote from: TrainFan97 on January 27, 2019, 04:06:46 PMThat's the first time I've noticed someone change my words.

It wasn't a knock on you, mate. I just wanted to emphasize how terrible TatMR is in retrospect, at least in my eyes.

TrainCollector

If Bachman wants to do something good we should get Thomas and Percy released with DCC and sound onboard. They wouldn't have to use new tooling just new inner worksings and wiring. I just hope that they can get something out this year. I'm really hoping we get troublesome truck 6. It's highly likely we will. As for HO narrow gauge. I'm really looking forward to seeing Sir Handle or Peter Sam being announced. Can't wait for Rusty to get released. Anyways hope this doesn't disappoint this year. Someone comment if you wanna discuss. It's time I get involved it's been sometime.

Trainboy 48

Has anyone seen this picture before https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzgdpGXoAA6rsS?format=jpg&name=large, I believe Sidney would definitely be the next engine to be made plus they can even adjust the border.
Wishlist for Bachmann to make HO Scale Engines: Sidney, Samson and Porter.
Wishlist for Bachmann to make Narrow Gauge Engines: Victor and Mille.

Kemptown Branch

Hey guys, I just had a thought about how they could make the green and cream open coaches from the Skarloey Railway and have them be a fresh idea so they aren't just like the red and blue carriages. They could release a couple different versions of the coach with different faces, like the ones from season 4 and have them labelled something like "Happy Carriage" or "Angry Carriage" for example. They would also be something completely different for the range because they would be the first narrow gauge rolling stock with faces. They would also bring some Season 4 nostalgia into the narrow gauge range even further than the Blue Carriage will. I don't think they should be considered for 2019, but maybe a few years down the line, if the range is still going, they could do something like this. Do you guys think that would be a good idea for the future? Would you guys buy them if Bachmann made them? Which of the facial expressions would you want to see, if they don't do all of them?
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

Rodimus Supreme

Quote from: Trainboy 48 on January 31, 2019, 06:48:32 PM
Has anyone seen this picture before https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DGzgdpGXoAA6rsS?format=jpg&name=large, I believe Sidney should would definitely be the next engine to be made plus they can even adjust the border.
Oh dear God no, please be photoshop...

TrainFan97

It's now officially February, and the 2019 Bachmann Thomas announcements are only two weeks away.

We may get Sidney, or preferably for recolors, Red Rosie. I'd still be okay with Sidney, but I get that everyone is sick of the Diesel tooling. I just got Paxton yesterday, and I think he's a great model. The only reason Grumpy Diesel was made was because of the complaints regarding Diesel's face looking too friendly for his character, and now his model exists with a more villainous face that better suits his character. The most popular request for a recolor is Red Rosie. There's also Green Thomas and Black James from The Adventure Begins, which are other examples of recolors Bachmann can easily do.

We'd be lucky to actually get a new tooling for HO Scale, especially if it's Stepney or Daisy.

Angelob6660

I latter have the narrow gauge coaches have no faces. To follow the CGI version of them of being normal coaches.
"...but I don't go to the movies much. If you've seen one you've seen them all."
-Kathy Selden

Kemptown Branch

Quote from: angelob6660 on February 01, 2019, 04:33:47 PM
I latter have the narrow gauge coaches have no faces. To follow the CGI version of them of being normal coaches.
The green and cream narrow gauge coaches have never been seen in the CGI Series, and therefore, it would not be inaccurate for them to be released with faces in the future. It would also help bring variety into the rolling stock range if they were made with faces.
Bachmann trains are awesome. I hope they come out with Stepney one day.

TrainFan97

The following is a list of characters I don't expect for this year for HO Scale.

Norman is a long shot, especially due to the fact that he's severely underused in the show. He did contribute to the plot in The Great Race by getting involved in Thomas' crash, but still remains severely underused in the show itself. I fail to understand why he very rarely speaks in the show, nor has he ever had a starring role. Sidney used to be in a similar state, until a few years ago when he started making regular appearances and speaking roles. Sidney even had a few starring roles. The real question is, when will Norman get his time to shine? Mattel hasn't made a single toy of him since their takeover, which also really doesn't help. Unlike Paxton and Sidney, Norman requires a completely new tooling. Despite his lack of roles, I still would love to see him get made one day in the future, since at least he's a diesel shunter that isn't a Class 08, but I know he's very unlikely, until he gets more roles.

Other examples of diesel shunters that aren't Class 08s include Den and Dart, which are also models I don't expect this year. They're not frequently talked about on the forum either. Both diesels obviously require new toolings. Den would be fine, but Dart's only issue is his tiny size. Dart is small enough to the point to where even open wagons tower over him. In order for Bachmann to make Dart, they would have to scale him up to accommodate an eye mechanism, motor, and couplings on both ends.

On the topic of characters I DO expect for HO Scale, the list includes:

Stepney
Daisy
Sidney
Red Rosie

With the announcements coming up, which one of them will it be, if we do get an engine? Will it even be one of those four? Only time will tell... Stepney has a unique livery. Daisy would be the first bogied diesel in the range. Sidney might infuriate some people. Red Rosie might sell better than her model with the old livery.

RailwayRoundhouse

I'd kill for a Bachmann Stepney, the sales would undoubtedly be through the roof. But like you said, it's best to keep expectations low. That said, I'm personally rather looking forward to seeing what is announced this year and the general response :)

Griffin (TheBlueSnowplow)

Bachmann has certainly surprised us in the past (who the heck thought we'd get Rosie that one year??) but yeah, my expectations aren't high at all. The only model I would buy without question at this point is Stepney or the (reintroduced) flatbed. Anything else is a hard pass.
Check out my Youtube channel below. 
www.youtube.com/thebluesnowplow