Bachmann Thomas & Friends in 2019

Started by Trainboy100, February 03, 2018, 12:38:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainFan97

I always get butterflies before the announcements, especially when they're almost here.
My wishlist for HO Scale: Stepney, BoCo, Sidney, Fernando, Mainland Diesels, Norman, Porter, Samson, Timothy, Whiff, Hiro, Winston, and Green Salty.
My wishlist for N Scale: Henry, Edward, Spencer, Flying Scotsman, Duck, Oliver, Mavis, Sidney, 'Arry and Bert.

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Streak on February 14, 2019, 04:15:30 PM
Just a second, Plow Bender. If they were to make a new engine in Large Scale, would they make it DCC Sound like Thomas and Percy right off the bat? If so, that would be cool.

To be honest Mr. Streak, your post just got me thinking about what I said previously.  That being the case, I'll have to step back for a moment.

First let's talk about what we already have in the range with DCC Sound, being Thomas and Percy.  Bachmann also has the sound module sold separately, which includes the sounds for James, Emily, Toby, and other characters which sadly don't seem to have much chance in Large Scale at this point.  But here's the thing with the way these models are set up.  The DCC Sound models can run off either digital or analog, which means you don't have to choose between one operating system or the other.  Personally I feel this is why the standard Thomas model was discontinued, and my guess is Percy has stuck around a little longer considering he is not as popular of a seller, and therefore Bachmann still has a few hundred of these models still in the warehouse.

Now on the topic of Mavis getting announced, here's where your statement comes into play.  Would Bachmann make Mavis with DCC Sound already on board, or would they make the model standard DC?  My thoughts on this are that it's an argument that can swing both ways.  If Bachmann has plans to thin out their standard DC models (as they've done with Thomas) and just make them all come with DCC Sound on board, then to release Mavis without the addition of sound on the first go seems a little odd.  At the same time, Bachmann would have to make a sound module for Mavis, as the current one does not offer her as an option in the programming.

Now let's say Bachmann has plans to make Mavis, but this time just as a standard DC model.  If the range continues as it has been (just with DCC sound models being Thomas and Percy), then this seems the most likely.  In this case I could see Bachmann bringing out a sound module for Mavis at a later date.  I do remember Chaz brought up the same idea with Diesel back before the 2018 announcements, but his cancelation kind of killed the chances of getting a sound module.  If Bachmann did decide to announce Mavis though, I think they should look into a sound module for her, as without one it leaves Mavis as the only engine character without the option of sound, without having to start from scratch and add it yourself.  Winston on the other hand is another story entirely, as Bachmann was clearly fighting enough just to put a motor in him (hence why the model doesn't have moving eyes or a full interior) that they wouldn't even be bothered with fitting a sound system.

So as a recap, if Bachmann does intend to add DCC Sound to James, Emily, and Toby, then adding it to Mavis should be a priority as well.  I think it would make sense to give Mavis her own sound module, rather than having her share one with other diesel characters similar to what Bachmann did with the first module.  I think during that time Bachmann had bigger plans for the Large Scale range which were cut short due to production costs, hence why sound suites offered then include characters that don't have much of a chance now.  In the case that Bachmann just holds on to the standard models, then a standard Mavis would be fine.  I think at the end of the day however, a sound module for Mavis should at least be looked into, even if a model of her never gets released with DCC Sound factory installed.

As I said in an earlier post, I personally feel that Mavis is the way to go if Bachmann wants to do another engine character in Large Scale, and a diesel at that.  She's a popular character, a rather easy tooling, can reuse Toby's chassis, and is sure to sell better than Winston did when he was released.  If Bachmann plans to add DCC Sound to her be it factory and/or optional, then I welcome this addition as well.  Yes models with DCC sound cost extra, and yes maybe sound is more of a luxury for some, but personally (and from past experience working with models with DCC Sound on board) it's well worth that little bit extra for the life it brings to the models.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

Streak

Really interesting post, Plow Bender. I pretty much agree with everything you said. It would be cool if they went and converted all the engines to DCC Sound considering as they won't even sell Large Scale Thomas without it anymore. I also like the ideas about Large Scale Mavis. Mavis hasn't been a character I've been super interested with in recent years but your explanation for how easy it could be for them to make her in the line makes me really want her now all of a sudden. I want Large Scale to be thrown a bone after the cancellation of LS Diesel. Any engine right now would be great and Mavis could sell very well when you consider her HO model's sales. I think that right now the two engines for Large Scale I see the most likely now are Mavis (due to her established ease to produce) and Rosie (due to her recent relevance and possible ease as a tank engine). Maybe if Mavis is made in LS, they could also make Henrietta alongside her considering both characters' relation to Toby. Of course this is all just hypothetical.

I just hope that maybe someday, Bachmann will be able to be rid of the budget problems they've been having and then maybe someday we could get Large Scale Diesel for real as well as other characters like Bill, Ben, Duck, or even Edward. But maybe that's me being too hopeful again.

JLK2707

I agree. Let's just hope we enjoy whatever is mentioned tomorrow! But don't be surprised if it is more recolours of current engines and/or rolling stock. Not trying to be a downer, but I am just commenting over what we have gotten over the past few years. Also, why was the large scale Bachmann devious diesel cancelled?

Toad139

Quote from: Streak on February 14, 2019, 11:02:20 PM
I just hope that maybe someday, Bachmann will be able to be rid of the budget problems they've been having and then maybe someday we could get Large Scale Diesel for real as well as other characters like Bill, Ben, Duck, or even Edward. But maybe that's me being too hopeful again.
What exactly are the budget problems? Is there anywhere to find information on it?

Falcon the 2nd

Quote from: JLK2707 on February 15, 2019, 05:10:36 AM
I agree. Let's just hope we enjoy whatever is mentioned tomorrow! But don't be surprised if it is more recolours of current engines and/or rolling stock. Not trying to be a downer, but I am just commenting over what we have gotten over the past few years. Also, why was the large scale Bachmann devious diesel cancelled?

If I'm not mistaken, Diesel would've been a very expensive character to both manufacture and purchase. He's an engine that would require a new tooling and his retail price supposedly would've been on the same level as Emily's, if not higher.

Other users have already discussed this, but seeing a character with a new tooling in the Large Scale range has become an insurmountable challenge in recent years. That's one of the reasons why Mavis has recently become an appealing choice: her tooling can easily be reused from Toby's without much changes. Maybe at the most, the base can be extended to match her longer size, but other than that, I don't see much to worry about in terms of changing it.
Wishlists:
HO Scale - Stepney, Tar Tanker
N Scale - Henry, Mavis, Milk Tanker, Brake Van

JLK2707

I wonder why we did not get Sidney this year.

AJW98Productions

Quote from: JLK2707 on February 16, 2019, 01:20:09 AM
I wonder why we did not get Sidney this year.
I'm assuming it's because the Sidney isn't just as simple as a Diesel recolour. They would have to change the tooling to accommodate for his narrower face. I also think the eye mechanism may need adjustment to avoid stretching Sidney's face. It also may be related to Bachmann UK's factory troubles recently. Most of their announcements this year were recolours due to factory issues, so perhaps it's possible that the USA branch has been having some factory issues too? Then of course there's what everybody keeps commenting, that maybe they didn't want to flood the market with another Class 08 diesel for the third year in a row running.

Finally, since we still have Large Scale and Narrow Gauge products on the back-burner, and a new N Gauge line coming out, I'm assuming Bachmann may have more than had their hands full for this year. So decided to avoid creating new HO toolings, or modifying parts of existing mechanisms.

~Alex

Plow_Bender

Quote from: Toad139 on February 15, 2019, 02:43:44 PM
What exactly are the budget problems? Is there anywhere to find information on it?

Quote from: Falcon the 2nd on February 15, 2019, 02:47:14 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Diesel would've been a very expensive character to both manufacture and purchase. He's an engine that would require a new tooling and his retail price supposedly would've been on the same level as Emily's, if not higher.

Like Mr. Falcon pointed out in his post, Diesel would have been expensive to produce and have an RRP close to (if not more) than Emily, which as of the date of this post holds at $429.  I think many modelers out there would see a tender engine such as Emily better value for money than a shunter loco such as Diesel.  In the end, Bachmann clearly saw Diesel wasn't worth the cost, even if they could have literally scattered out his tooling across 3-4 other characters and got production costs down that much more.  Put simply, the more models you produce, the more you can spread out the cost of tooling, thus keep the cost per item low.

Furthermore, compared to Diesel there would be many other Large Scale models currently offered from Bachmann that would give you more bang for your buck.  The Thomas and Percy models with DCC Sound are only $399 each.  In addition to that and outside the Thomas line, Bachmann's 2-4-2 Locomotives and Peter Witt Streetcars (both models with a high amount of detail)  have RRPs of $419 and $429 respectively.  That being said, which of the following would you be most likely to purchase?

Diesel - $429+
Emily - $429
Thomas w/ DCC Sound - $399
Percy w/ DCC Sound - $399
2-4-2 Locomotive - $419
Peter Witt Streetcar - $429

Even if Bachmann had decided to go through with Diesel and release him to the Large Scale market, there would still be those that would whine about the high RRP of a niche market product, not wanting to pay the cost of Bachmann recovering it's investment to produce said model.  At the end of the day, Diesel's RRP would have been the nail in the coffin for the model, and personally I feel Bachmann did the right thing by not going through with the production stage.  No one in their right mind would have gone out and bought Diesel when several other models Large Scale present far better value and have more appeal.

-Rusty
"If you can't beat them, hire someone to do it..."

TrainshockeylifE

Has anyone ever thought of Bachmann making Murdoch? It's pretty realistic because they've made his real life loco in branch line, it's just a thought.

Zekeism

Quote from: TrainshockeylifE on February 25, 2019, 07:17:56 PM
Has anyone ever thought of Bachmann making Murdoch? It's pretty realistic because they've made his real life loco in branch line, it's just a thought.

I see Murdoch very unlikely, every character that has been made, has been featured in multiple seasons.
Proud Bachmann Thomas Collector.

steakandcake

I'm not gonna lie. I'd absolutely love a Bachmann Murdoch. But  he hasn't appeared in the show for over 10 years. However, the Hornby Murdoch is worth a lot of money and for some reason, people are paying ludicrous amounts for it. I'd say it's very unlikely.

Toad139

It isn't realistic at all. Yes, they have the tooling, but that's a very expensive engine to make. Considering they aren't introduceing any new tooling whatsoever into the the range at the moment, it's not going to happen.

Ronniethe14xxx

Quote from: Toad139 on February 27, 2019, 03:54:16 PM
It isn't realistic at all. Yes, they have the tooling, but that's a very expensive engine to make. Considering they aren't introduceing any new tooling whatsoever into the the range at the moment, it's not going to happen.
Also they would have to make a new mold to begin with to include the eye mechanism so even if they made the engine in another range, that wouldn't mean Bachmann would make it in the Thomas range

Toad139

Quote from: Ronniethe14xxx on February 27, 2019, 04:45:50 PM
Also they would have to make a new mold to begin with to include the eye mechanism so even if they made the engine in another range, that wouldn't mean Bachmann would make it in the Thomas range

That's true, Bachmann doesn't even use existing Branchline models for locomotives in the Thomas range.